Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A safety question for Steam

1. Mar 27, 2008 #1
    Hi there,
    I have a safety question. I want to produce high temperature, high pressure steam. On a 1/2 inch tube, length is about 1 meter. Initially I put cold water in tube. Then pump it to 4000 psi. Now I will heat it to achieve about 380C. (in this process, I will open a purge valve many times to avoid volume increase too much). I will use pressure transducer and thermocouple to measure them.

Is this experiment safe?
    If I can find some experimental data about this test, I may not to reproduce it. Can anyone give me some information about it?

Thanks.
    David

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2008 #2
    If you have to ask if it is safe, then for you I would say no it is not safe.

4. Mar 27, 2008 #3

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Averagesupernova's advice sounds good.

No, it's not safe; you obviously don't have a clue what you're doing!

5. Mar 27, 2008 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Agreed. About the only thing that would make it safe is multiple automatic safety relief valves. But before you even attempt such an experiment, you should study up on and learn how water is going to behave in such a situation. Get yourself a thermodynamics book and carefully read up on this. There will be chapters dedicated to it and tables of properties in the back. In fact, from the sound of it, all you need is steam tables - you don't need to do the experiment.

One important consideration - at the state you have defined, you are above the critical point for steam.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?