Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A satellite is going to hit the earth and i need to know my chances of getting hit

1. Sep 9, 2011 #1
    so NASA's saying a satellite's gonna come crashing down in a few weeks

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/8751605/Nasa-warns-of-fresh-risk-from-468m-satellite-falling-from-space.html [Broken]

"Scientists estimate the debris footprint will be about 500 miles long with a 1-in-3,200 chance a part a satellite part could hit someone. "

okay, so there's a 1/3200 chance someone's getting hit. there's a lot of people on earth. does that make my odds of getting hit a lot smaller?! like 1/3200 x 1/7 billion or however many people we have?

or are the two things unrelated? as a faceless, random somebody, are my odds of getting nailed by some piece of satellite 1/3200 like they are for everyone else?

i feel like this has to do with conditional probability but am not sure.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Re: a satellite is going to hit the earth and i need to know my chances of getting hi

It's not so simple. Obviously, only people on the trail have a chance to be hit. Somebody in (say) Tokyo won't have a chance to be hit. So the people at risk are not 7 billion.
    Furthermore, some people on the trail have less chance on being hit than others. People who live mostly inside, for example...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook