1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Sealed Bottle of Gases

1. Dec 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A sealed bottle at 1 atm of pressure holds 1 mole of neon and 1 mole of argon gas at a temperature of 295K. The curves in the Figure (http://phlnx3.pas.rochester.edu/webwork2_files/CAPA_Graphics/Gtype43/prob01a.gif) show the distributions of velocities of the molecules of each gas.
    Find the number of molecules of argon which have velocities between 250 m/s and 500 m/s.

2. Relevant equations
    KE = (3/2)kT
    P(v) dv [itex]\propto[/itex] 4πv^2 e^((-(1/2)mv^2)/kT) dv
    Molar Mass of Argon = 0.03995 kg/mol

3. The attempt at a solution
    Totally lost on how to set this one up. I get that I need some sort of bound on the probability of finding Argon between 250 and 500 m/s, and from there I can get an actual number, but for now I'm somewhat lost.
    The graph might be giving me the answer right in front of me but I'm also having a hard time reading it (it doesn't help that it's not labeled which curve is which element...).

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2013 #2
    Argon has a higher molar mass than neon. What does that tell you about which curve is which? As a last resort, you can count area under the curve from 250 to 500.

4. Dec 5, 2013 #3
    It should be the top curve since vrms would be lower than Neon. I thought it would be harder than that but I just manually calculated the area and got the right answer. Guess I was overthinking it. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted