1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A seemingly impossible problem from my teacher!

1. Oct 25, 2005 #1
    No its not homework, but my teacher (pre-cal) couldn't figure it out and neither can I, so see if you can!

I can't draw it so i'll explain it, pretty simple.

You have a square (ABCD) with a random point closest to the bottom-left corner of the square (it doesn't really matter which corner). The point is 3 units from A (the closest corner), 7 units from B (the point directly above A), and 5 units from D (the point directly right of A)

Keep in mind you don't no any angles except of course the 90 degrees of each corner.

Solve for - any side length!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The point lies at the intersection of 3 circles centered on the given vertices with their respective radii. You have 3 equations and 3 unknowns (x, y, a) where a is the length of each side of the circle. You're only interested in a so you want to eliminate x and y.

After a quick run through I get [itex]a = 4[/itex] or [itex]a = 3 \sqrt {11}[/itex].

4. Oct 26, 2005 #3

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let X be your point. Let x be the angle BXA, y is the angle DXA, and z is the angle DXB. Let s be the side length of your square. Using the cosine law, you know:

1) 2a² = 25 + 49 - 2(5)(7)cos(z)
    2) a² = 9 + 25 - 2(3)(5)cos(y)
    3) a² = 9 + 49 - 2(3)(7)cos(x)

Treat a², cos(x), cos(y), and cos(z) as your unknowns, then you have three linear equations in terms of 4 unknowns. You can then solve for all of them in terms of one of them, say cos(x).

But you also know that x + y + z = 2π, and that π/2 < x < π. With a bunch of messy algebra (it will boil down to solving a cubic polynomial with integer coefficients), or using a computer program, you can find a solution for cos(x), and hence a², and hence a.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2005
  5. Oct 26, 2005 #4
    well, one triangle has sides 7, 3, a
    another has sides 3, 5, a
    a third has sides 7,5,a* sqrt {2}

you can use a lot of law of cosines, a big ugly heron formula for the whole square or some plain geometry. If i were to gwt this problem i'd go for the Cosines.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?