1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A seemingly simple triple integral has me stumped

1. Jan 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Essentially, do the volume integral of z^2 over the tetrahedron with vetices at (0,0,0) (1,0,0) (0,1,0) (0,0,1)

3. The attempt at a solution

There seems to be a ton(!) of brute-force algebra involved. Enough to make me question if I'm doing the problem right.
    I set up the triple integral of z^2 in the order dzdydx with the following limits of integration.

z=0 to z= 1-x-y
    y=0 to y= 1-x
    x=0 to x=1

It didn't take to long for me to end up with trying to integrate a humongous polynomial in the second interval.

Evaluating z^3 / 3 at z = 1-x-y was fun enough.

But now after integrating again, I have to evaluate y/3 -xy-y^2/2+xy^2+x^2*y + y^3/3 + 1/3*x^3*y et cetera at y = 1-x seems to be a nightmare.

Am I tackling this the wrong way?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, I think your approach is correct. Though I'm not sure I agree with your xy polynomial. You just have to work through the mess and be careful. If don't have to use a triple integral you can use a shortcut. If A(z) is the area of a cross section of the tetrahedron at a constant value of z, and you can use geometry to get a formula for that area in terms of z, then the triple integral is the integral of A(z)*z^2*dz. Hmm. That sort of suggests that you change the order of integration so you integrate over z last, it might be easier.
  4. Jan 29, 2009 #3
    Yeah not only have I found a few mistakes, but i typed some parts in wrong, I was really just writing the polynomial to show how ugly.

Ill try integrating over x last then.
  5. Jan 29, 2009 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Z last, I think. You already did X last.
  6. Jan 29, 2009 #5
    sorry, i meant z
  7. Jan 29, 2009 #6
    Ok i have an answer now, thanks for the help.

Yes, integrating in the different order helped alot. Much cleaner algebra there.
  8. Jan 29, 2009 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. If your integrand depends on a subset of the variables, integrate over those variables last. It keeps them constants for as long as possible.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?