Finding General Formulas for Series: 1.01, 2.0301, 3.060401, 4.10100501...

• Thread starter shan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation is about finding the general formula for the partial sums of the series \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (1.01)^n. The participants discuss different methods such as looking for patterns and using the geometric series formula to find the formula for the nth term. Eventually, they come to a solution using the geometric series formula.
shan
The question is about the series:
sum of (1.01)^n from n=1 to infinity

It asks me to investigate the partial sums for that series and then find an expression for Sn. The partial sum part goes like:
S1=1.01
S2=1.01+(1.01)^2=2.0301
S3=1.01+(1.01)^2+(1.01)^3=3.060401
S4=1.01+(1.01)^2+(1.01)^3+(1.01)^4=4.10100501
etc

I'm stuck on finding the general formula (Sn) for the sequence
1.01, 2.0301, 3.060401, 4.10100501...
My friends and I have only gotten as far as guessing that it might be n+(1/something^something) but I'm wonderfing if there is a better way to find a formula for a sequence of numbers rather than guessing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up on geometric series.

Or compare [itex]S_n[/itex] against [itex]1.01S_n[/itex].

The answer should be apparent from the information you write at the start. In general, if you weren't already given what the sum is, you might was to consider looking at the following to see if provides any hints.

S(4) - S(3)
S(3) - S(2) etc.

See if any pattern arises which allows you to identify how successive terms are added.

After reading about geometric series you may find that forming

S(4) - S(3)/(S(3) - S(2))
S(3) - S(2)/(S(2) - S(1)) etc

Provides some help.

Last edited:
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} A[/tex]

A is a general expression of your pattern in terms of "n"

You need to find how to generalize the pattern for finding an nth term.
Look at the ratios of each term... you should have formulas for calculating a summation with the given ratio.

Thanks for that guys. I worked it out using the geometric series formula :)

1. What is the general formula for the given series?

The general formula for this series is: an = (n+1)^2 * 0.01n

2. How do you determine the next term in the series?

To determine the next term in the series, you can use the general formula mentioned above. Simply plug in the value of n for the term you want to find and solve for an.

3. Can this series be simplified or rewritten in a different form?

Yes, this series can be rewritten in a different form. For example, we can rewrite it as: an = (n+1)^2 / 100n. This form may be more convenient for some calculations.

4. How can this series be used in real-world applications?

This series can be used in various real-world applications, such as compound interest calculations, population growth models, and radioactive decay calculations. It can also be used to model the growth of certain biological organisms or the spread of diseases.

5. Is there a limit to how many terms can be added in this series?

Technically, there is no limit to the number of terms that can be added in this series. However, as n increases, the terms become increasingly small and the series approaches a limit or "converges". Depending on the precision required for a particular application, a certain number of terms may be sufficient to achieve the desired accuracy.