• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

A Shadow on the Wall

• Thread starter dblader
  • Start date
1. A rectangular piece of cardboard 21.7cm high is held 1.0m in front of a point source of light. The cardboard is 2.6m away from a wall. How tall is the shadow on the wall?

I have no idea how to do this my prof never talked about this in class and I looked threw the book with no help. I emailed my prof and he told me to google it. The way I thought to do it was to use the b/a=c/d=e/f , and use the ratio of 2.6m/1m = d/.217m and i got d=.56m but it wasn't correct. if any of you guys know how to do this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dblade

Answers and Replies

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
Welcome to PF.

Just make a drawing. Your light is a point source. Won't then the projected dimensions be able to be determined by like triangles?

what do you mean by like triangles.

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
what do you mean by like triangles.
Like triangles similar triangles, etc.

Won't the ratio of the sides be equal?

im pretty sure that they would be equal. a=distance from source to object b=distance to wall c=height of object d= height of object on wall so i plugged in 2.6m/1m = d/.217m so i got d=.564m i plugged that in and it said i was wrong.

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
im pretty sure that they would be equal. a=distance from source to object b=distance to wall c=height of object d= height of object on wall so i plugged in 2.6m/1m = d/.217m so i got d=.564m i plugged that in and it said i was wrong.
So what is the distance of the light to the wall again?

i figured it out. I took 1m+2.6m=3.6m*.217m=.781m which is the correct answer. but can you explain why that is i know how to do it know but i need to understand it. thanks for your help.

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
i figured it out. I took 1m+2.6m=3.6m*.217m=.781m which is the correct answer. but can you explain why that is i know how to do it know but i need to understand it. thanks for your help.
Similar triangles means the ratio of the complete side to complete side.

You were trying to compare a triangle to trapezoid.

okay so d is the whole side so when i was multiplying 2.6m it wasn't the whole side of the triangle but 3.6m is the whole side of the triangle. thanks