1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A ship's propeller shaft transmits 7.5 MW at 440rev/min.

1. Jan 6, 2010 #1
    1. A ship's propeller shaft transmits 7.5 MW at 440rev/min. The shaft has an external diameter of 230mm. Calculate the maximum permissible bore diameter if the shearing stress in the shaft is to be limited to 150MN/m squared. The modulus of rigidity for the shaft material is 79 GN/m squared

2. Relevant equations: P=omega*T therfore T=P/omega
    T/J=tau/r therfore J=Tr/tau
    J=pi (D power of 4*d power of 4)/32 therfore d power of 4=D power of 4 -J*32/pi

3. Are my transpositions of the equations above correct? I realise if I want d i will have to find the fourth route of my susequent answer. I came up with 162760.42 Nm for T, 1.248*10-4 m4 for J and 0.1977m for d.
    I also need to find the legth of the shaft if the angle of twist does not exceed 10 degrees. I've used the equation: tau/r=G*theta/l which I transposed to get l=G*theta*r/tau. My answer came out as 605.666m which to me seems a tad large. Any help would be very much appriciated. Cheers.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted