A shirt that plays the guitar

• Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Guitar
In summary, the Textile and Fibre Technology division at the CSIRO has created an air guitar T-shirt that can be played like a real guitar. The wearer's movements are beamed by radio to a computer which interprets them and turns them into musical notes.
neutrino
All you guitar enthusiasts, here's something for you...

Scientists at the CSIRO's Textile and Fibre Technology division in Geelong have woven electronic sensors into a T-shirt so that it can be played liked a real guitar.

Movements by the wearer's arms are mapped and beamed by radio to a computer which interprets them and turns them into musical notes.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/air-guitar-down-to-a-t-shirt/2006/11/13/1163266457568.html

Check out that video! :bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
I heard Satriani and Vai already purchased the shirts! :biggrin:

radou said:
I heard Satriani and Vai already purchased the shirts! :biggrin:
So they can finally sound like Angus Young? :rofl:

Last edited:
Oh, I can see it already, air guitar is going to make a come back:cry:

my thoughts exactly hypatia, haha.

To those of us who actually play or have played guitar professionally, watching someone play "air guitar" is painful, disturbing, and sick. I can throw down some mean blues licks without moving much more than my fingers and minimal hand movements (part of the key to getting fast is learning how to make notes in alternate locations, so you don't have to make very gross left-hand movements) - those wankers act like every guitar lead is an aerobic workout.

turbo-1 said:
To those of us who actually play or have played guitar professionally, watching someone play "air guitar" is painful, disturbing, and sick.
Yeah -- like playing piano on a desk -- but worse. I guess there are "air saxes" -- any other instruments so bastardized? I don't think I'll ever see someone playing an "air oboe" eh? :rofl: oopps... just threw the temptation out there...

I play piano and desk piano, and I play guitar and air guitar.

I play the air accordion.

I once witnessed a heavy metal air guitar contest. Gross.

haha
That drummer is pretty good...

Last edited by a moderator:
its stupid, our arms are not sensitive, to make complex features such as typing on a keyboard, or playing a guitar... though gloves could be good for some actions... but i don't think that is would be effective as a guitar.

still it sounds pretty cool...

Evo said:
I play the air accordion.
"Momma plays the squeeze-box, Daddy never sleeps at night."

turbo-1 said:
"Momma plays the squeeze-box, Daddy never sleeps at night."
:rofl: I haven't heard that one in awhile.

It's cool that they can do that stuff with the sensors, but the air-guitar part isn't that cool.

I wonder if they could refine it enough to be able to play stuff like

That on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does the shirt play the guitar?

The shirt has built-in sensors that detect the movement of the wearer's arms and fingers. These sensors are connected to a small electronic device that produces the sound of the guitar strings being played.

2. Can anyone wear the shirt and play the guitar?

Yes, anyone can wear the shirt and play the guitar. However, it may take some practice to get used to the sensors and produce accurate sounds.

3. What types of music can the shirt play?

The shirt can play any type of music that can be played on a guitar. This includes various genres such as rock, pop, blues, and more.

4. Is the shirt washable?

Yes, the shirt is designed to be washable. However, it is important to follow the washing instructions provided to avoid damaging the electronic components.

5. How long does the shirt's battery last?

The battery life of the shirt depends on the frequency and duration of use. On average, the battery can last for several hours before needing to be recharged.