Understanding the Relationship between Velocity and Time in Calculus

• Thread starter sniffer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation is about the relationship between velocity (v) and the variables r (radius) and t (time). The equation \frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{\partial v}{\partial r}+\frac{\partial v}{\partial t} was used to derive this relationship and it is a standard calculus method. The person asking the question is unsure about the validity of the first equation and asks for clarification. The other person suggests looking up the chain rule and using the equation \frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{\partial v}{\partial r}\frac{dr}{dt}+\frac{\partial v}{\partial t} instead. The conversation ends with the question of whether dr/dt represents a
sniffer
i just want simple explanation of this.
velocity v is a function of r and t.
then my professor, in order to derive relationship of something, he wrote:
[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{\partial v}{\partial r}+\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}[/tex]
then assuming small spatial variation,
[tex]\frac{dv}{dt} \approx \frac{\partial v}{\partial t}[/tex]
my question: is the first equation above OK?
is it standard calculus? i am weak in this. please help.

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
look up the chain rule; when v = v(r(t),t),

[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{\partial v}{\partial r}\frac{dr}{dt}+\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}[/tex]

then you can see the following argument makes more sense?

thanks. i just want to clarify again, does it mean dr/dt is small, i.e. small velocity?

What is a simple calculus question?

A simple calculus question is a mathematical problem that involves using the principles of calculus to find a solution. It typically involves finding the derivative or integral of a function.

Why is calculus important?

Calculus is important because it is the foundation of many other fields of mathematics and science. It allows us to understand and analyze changes in quantities over time, which is essential in areas such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are the two main branches of calculus?

The two main branches of calculus are differential calculus and integral calculus. Differential calculus deals with the rate of change of a function, while integral calculus deals with the accumulation of a function over a given interval.

What skills are needed to solve a simple calculus question?

To solve a simple calculus question, you will need a strong understanding of algebra, functions, and basic calculus principles such as derivatives and integrals. You will also need critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

How can I improve my calculus skills?

To improve your calculus skills, you can practice solving a variety of problems, seek help from a tutor or teacher, and utilize online resources such as video tutorials and practice quizzes. It is also helpful to have a solid understanding of algebra and basic math concepts.