A simple contraction question.

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Contraction
In summary: So I think you are right and the book is wrong.In summary, S is at rest relative to S', where S' moves with a horizontal velocity compared to S. The slope of the rod in S' is m' = m * gamma(u'). The given answer in the book, m' = m * gamma(v) * (1 - uv / c^2), does not seem to be correct.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
A rod. having slope m relative to the x-axis of S, moves in the x direction at speed u. what is the rod's slope in the usual second frame S'? (S is at rest realtive to S' which moves along the x direction with velocity v).
well obviously the horizontal length of the rod is contracted or lengthened, depends on your frame:
i think that if L is the length of the rod, and [tex]u'=\frac{u-v}{1-\frac{uv}{c^2}}[/tex] then we have: L'_x=Lcos(theta)/gamma(u')
and the slope in S' is: m'=m*gamma(u') cause the vertical portion of the rod doesn't get change.

the problem is that in the answer key we have:
m'=m*gamma(v)*(1-uv/c^2)
but i don't get this, even with some algebraic manipulations, so i guess I am wrong here, can someone help here?

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
S is at rest realtive to S' which moves along the x direction with velocity v

:confused:

S is at rest relative to S', where S' moves with horizontal velcoity compared to S, what's not understood here?

loop quantum gravity said:
S is at rest relative to S', where S' moves with horizontal velcoity compared to S, what's not understood here?
(1) S is at rest relative to S'
(2) S' moves with a horizontal velocity compared to S

Sounds contradictory to me! You might want to reword your problem statement.

what's wrong here?
one frame is stationary the other one moves with constant speed, what's wrong with this?

In SR, you cannot say that something is at rest in an absolute sense. It has to at rest with respect to/relative to something. So if S' is at rest with respect to S, then the relative velocity between the two is 0. If, on the other hand, S' has a velocity of v as measured by S, then S' measures the velocity of S to be -v(assuming standard configuration).

yes i see your point, i meant that S' has velocity v as measured by S.

loop quantum gravity said:
yes i see your point, i meant that S' has velocity v as measured by S.
Now that we have taken care of that, back to the problem...

I don't really see how to manipulate your answer, which is correct, to the form given in the book, and I also don't see how it is simpler than just having gamma(u').

What is a simple contraction?

A simple contraction is a shortened form of two words, created by replacing one or more letters with an apostrophe.

What is an example of a simple contraction?

An example of a simple contraction is "can't", which is a shortened form of "cannot".

How are simple contractions formed?

Simple contractions are formed by combining two words and replacing one or more letters with an apostrophe. For example, "do not" becomes "don't" and "I am" becomes "I'm".

Why are simple contractions used?

Simple contractions are used to make language more concise and easier to speak. They are also commonly used in informal or casual speech and writing.

Can simple contractions be used in formal writing or speech?

It is generally recommended to avoid using simple contractions in formal writing or speech, as they are considered more appropriate for informal or casual situations.