1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A simple experiment

1. Oct 13, 2003 #1

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Before my rush to work this morning, I was at the gas pump enjoying a splendid view of New England Fall foliage with a waning gibbous moon suspended low in the sky. The declination of the Moon was such that I could adjust my line of sight so that the Moon appeared just above the top the gas pump. Over the next minute or so, standing very still, I watched the moon sink below my artifical horizon. By adjusting my line of sight, I watched the moon set several times.

A simple, yet elegant reminder that we're standing on a rapidly spinning globe and that the seemingly still astronomical sky is actually marching right along at quite a good clip.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2003 #2

Labguy

Science Advisor

If you want more "proof-positive" of the real rotation rate of Earth, then try looking at an object in an undriven telescope at 250X and above. I do it, but it takes a fair amount of practice, and glass-smooth bearings in both axes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?