1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A simple harmonic problem

1. May 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A L = 1.48 m long metal rod is pivoted from a point one third of the way along its length. The rod has a mass of 0.208 kg. What period will the rod oscillate with when released from a small angle?

a413cff7gw1es9yepbh80j20bu0eeglt.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    [itex] T = 2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{L}{g}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    should I think the rod as a point mass about it's centre mass? and use centre mass to calculate the period by the formula?
    This is my approach:

[itex] \frac{1}{2}L-\frac{1}{3}L [/itex] is the length of the string
    [itex] T = 2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{L}{g}} = 2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{\frac{L}{6}}{g}} = 2 \pi \sqrt{0.025} = 0.997 s[/itex]
    Could someone give me some advice please?

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That approach is too simple. Consider a rod pivoted very close to the center of mass - your formula would give a very short period, but the actual period would be very long.

Think of torque and angular momentum.

4. May 20, 2015 #3
    Thank you for your reply, and this is my new approach:
    distance from pivot to centre mass is L/6
    torque(mg) = sin(theta)*(L/6)*mg
    also torque = I*angular acceleration.
    I am confused here, as w in simple harmonic motion is angular frequency and in the torque formula it is angular velocity? are they the same?

5. May 21, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

They are not, and I don't see where an ##\omega## would appear in the formula for torque. In general: if you would get the same symbol for different meanings, use a different symbol or indices (point 4 here).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted