Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Simple Nomenclature Problem

1. Jan 18, 2012 #1
    I decided to be clever and name my computer Cuniculus (so the prompt will be [oryctolagus@cuniculus], hurr). I've always explained that my handle was the genus to which the European rabbit belonged. So what is cuniculus? The species to which the Euopean rabbit belongs? The reason why I ask is that I often use the binomial nomenclature of animals to name things, and I don't want to be ignorant of exactly how I'm butchering it. Sorry to be so trivial--consider it a thought exercise.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2012 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

It seems that "cuniculus" is literally Latin for rabbit (using a Latin translator). The common European rabbit is known as Oryctolagus cuniculus, the first word being the genus and the latter being the species. Interestingly cuniculus is also a genus for two species of small rodent; Cuniculus paca and Cuniculus taczanowskii

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook