Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A simple ODE I think

1. Nov 23, 2011 #1

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

dc/dx = x[itex]^{2}[/itex]e[itex]^{-xc}[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2011 #2
    ?? it doesnt seem too simple, first its non separable non linear, but it is only first order. not quite sure what the post is for

4. Nov 23, 2011 #3
    Make the subst, [itex]u(x) \equiv x \, c(x)[/itex] and see what ODE you get for [itex]u(x)[/itex].

5. Nov 23, 2011 #4

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi Raymo I must apologise. The equationI wrote is wrong.

The right equation is dc/dx = e[itex]^{-xc}[/itex]

This solves for the y coordinate of a unit speed geodesic in the plane with a particular metric of constant negative curvature. The x coordinate is easy. Maybe a conformal change of coordinates would give an easier equation.

6. Nov 24, 2011 #5
    This is not a correct hint for this equation.

I think I found the way though. Solve your equation in terms of [itex]c[/itex]:

[tex]
    \ln c' = - x \, c
    [/tex]

[tex]
    c = -x \frac{1}{\ln p}, \ p \equiv c'(x)
    [/tex]

Your equation becomes an implicit ODE of the D'Alemebert - Clauraut type. It is reduced to a linear ODE w.r.t. [itex]x = x(p)[/itex] after differentiating w.r.t. [itex]x[/itex].

What differential equation do you get at this step? Can you perform the integral in a closed form using elementary functions?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook