Solving an ODE Problem: Calculating Deaths & Synthesis

• Thread starter Apostolos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary: S respectively...and the newly synthesised population is not affected by the current population at any time point (no matter how many people are present at that time) then the population can be thought of as the result of two independent processes.One way to approach this problem is to view it as a balance between two processes: death and synthesis. This can be seen in the original ODE where the change in population over time is equal to the synthesis rate minus the death rate times the current population.Therefore, to calculate the population that has died at time t, you can integrate the death rate r times the previous time point's population C(t-1).Similarly, to calculate the population that has synthesized at time t, you can integrate the synthesis
Apostolos
Hi everyone,

I have a problem understanding an ODE and using it to find something particular. Consider the following :

ODE : dC/dt= S-r*C
where

S: synthesis rate
r : death rate
C: population
Co: initial population

the analystical solution is simply C(t) =S/r -(S/r-Co)*exp(-r*t)

My questions are : i) How can we calculate the population that has died at time t
ii) How can we calculate the population that has synthesized at time t
My problem in understanding is relevant the rates S and r and how these can be applied to evaluate the exact quantity of population that has followed death and generation.
So If I want to find how many have died (or synthesized) at time t (given r or S) is it simply the multiplication with C(t) or with C(t-1)?

I would appreciate your help with this problem. Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, I'd have expected the equation to be dC/dt = (S-r)*C
because otherwise if you have r=0, i.e. no people dying,
then your equation says dC/dt = S which means C = Co + St
which is counter-intuitive as you would expect exponential growth
so you might want to just double check that!

Anyways, with regards to the population that has died...
Let D be the population that have died at time t.

Then we can say that dD/dt = r*C
and as we know C explicity as a function of time, we can just plug in and integrate.

With regards to your Synthesis rate, let X be the total population synthesised at time t.
Now, according to your current model, dX/dt = S, so X = Xo + St (which as I mentioned before is counter-intuitive).

If your initial ODE was dC/dt = (S-r)*C,
then you have that dX/dt = S*C
and as you have C explicity, just plug in and integrate.

Hope that all makes sense and answers your questions :)

Thank you very much for your response! That finally makes sense to me... :)

However, the model takes into acount protein population and therefore the synthesis rate is independent of the current population...

Apostolos

Dear Marioeden,

something is wrong with the solution you have provided. I don't know why but the died population is greater than the current population when I use the method you suggested!

I have integrated as you said using the analytic solution for C and I get :

D(t)=s*t+(Co-s/r)*(1-exp(-r*t))+Do

I have used as initial conditions Do=0 and Co=0. s=2 ,r =0.0693

Do you have any idea why I get this imbalance? Is that the cumulative result?

I would appreciate any help on that! Thanks a lot!

Apostolos

I am wondering...considering the previous model.

Is it true that ??:

C(current time)=

C(prev.time) + S(current time) - r*[ C(prev.time) + S(current time)]

where C : population
S : newly synthesised polulation (assume that is independt of population size(const.))
r : death rate of population (assume constant)
and if also the population that dies at any time t is labeled with D we must have :

D(current time)=r*[ C(prev.time) + S(current time)] ??

Please anyone who can take a look at it and let me know an opinion about it.

Thanks!

Apostolos said:
Dear Marioeden,

something is wrong with the solution you have provided. I don't know why but the died population is greater than the current population when I use the method you suggested!

I have integrated as you said using the analytic solution for C and I get :

D(t)=s*t+(Co-s/r)*(1-exp(-r*t))+Do

I have used as initial conditions Do=0 and Co=0. s=2 ,r =0.0693

Do you have any idea why I get this imbalance? Is that the cumulative result?

I would appreciate any help on that! Thanks a lot!

Apostolos

This is because the D that we've found is the total population that have died.

For example, we'd expect that over the history of the Earth, more people have died in total than are currently living now.

As such if you want to find the population that died in the interval [T, T+K],
then just evaluate D(T+K) - D(T)

So that's the cumulative...as I thought!
By the way, I think an easier way to evaluate that and in the same time avoid the error of the exponential terms that comes after integration would be to say simply that :
D(t)=r*C(t-1)

...which was and my initial thought.

Thanks a lot for your responses! I appreciate it!

Apostolos

Apostolos said:
So that's the cumulative...as I thought!
By the way, I think an easier way to evaluate that and in the same time avoid the error of the exponential terms that comes after integration would be to say simply that :
D(t)=r*C(t-1)

...which was and my initial thought.

Thanks a lot for your responses! I appreciate it!

Apostolos

You'll have to explain your reasoning behind that, I don't quite see why D(t) = r*C(t-1)
Unless you're dealing with finite time intervals, but if that were the case you'd be solving difference equations, not differential equations

Indeed I am solving the problem over a finite time interval.I just use the ODE to find the numerical values at the time points of interest after discretisation. Is that wrong you think?
If the model considers two parallel processes, death and synthesis with rates r and s, how do these rates apply ?
Lets say at t=0 there is an initial population and no death or generation. At t=1 a proportion r of the initial population dies while population S is generated. This forms the population at time t=1. At t=2 the same aplies over the population C(1) and so on...
Is not that the same with the assumption of the ODE model?

I have checked it and numerically very small difference occurs when I aim to find the population of died population using the ODE or by using the recursive relationship I prementioned.

If it is clear to you and there is something totally wrong please let me know your opinion to make corrections in my methods.

Thank you

Apostolos

Ah, right, so you actually want to be using difference equations, not differential equations!

So, ODE's are when you have a continuous model i.e. at every infinitesimal point in time there is synthesis and death, but here you clearly have a discrete problem.

In other words, you want to solve the equation C(t+1) = S - r*C(t)
To solve this, first solve the homogeneous equation:
C(t+1) + r*C(t) = 0
which has the solution C(t) = A*(-r)^t
where A is some arbitrary constant.

Then finding a particular solution to the forced equation, you have C(t) = S/(1+r)

Thus the solution is given by C(t) = s/(1+r) + [Co - S/(1+r)]*(-r)^t
where Co = C(0)

The interesting thing here, is that the population tends to a stable limit of C = S/(1+r)Lastly, if synthesis actually did depend on the population at that time, then you have
C(t+1) = (S-r)*C(t)
which yields that solution:
C = Co(S - r)^t

Apostolos said:
Hi everyone,

I have a problem understanding an ODE and using it to find something particular. Consider the following :

ODE : dC/dt= S-r*C
where

S: synthesis rate
r : death rate
C: population
Co: initial population

the analystical solution is simply C(t) =S/r -(S/r-Co)*exp(-r*t)

My questions are : i) How can we calculate the population that has died at time t
ii) How can we calculate the population that has synthesized at time t
My problem in understanding is relevant the rates S and r and how these can be applied to evaluate the exact quantity of population that has followed death and generation.
So If I want to find how many have died (or synthesized) at time t (given r or S) is it simply the multiplication with C(t) or with C(t-1)?

I would appreciate your help with this problem. Thanks a lot.

This is an interesting question. The cumulative amount that has been synthesized up to time t is just St. This plus Co would be the amount you would have if the rate of destruction were zero.
The amount you actually have left at time t is C(t). So that amount that died must be St + Co minus that amount that is left at time t. You can also obtain this same result by using the original differential equation to integrate rC (the destruction rate) from t = 0 to t = t.

Last edited:

1. How do I solve an ODE problem?

To solve an ODE problem, you will need to use mathematical methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or using numerical methods like Euler's method. It is important to first understand the type of ODE problem you are dealing with and choose the appropriate method to solve it.

2. What is the purpose of calculating deaths and synthesis in an ODE problem?

Calculating deaths and synthesis in an ODE problem helps to model the population dynamics of a particular species or system. By understanding the rates of death and growth, we can make predictions and analyze the behavior of the system over time.

3. Can I use any ODE solver to calculate deaths and synthesis?

Yes, there are many ODE solvers available that can be used to calculate deaths and synthesis. Some popular ones include MATLAB, Mathematica, and Python's SciPy library. It is important to choose the solver that is most appropriate for your specific problem.

4. What are the key variables needed to calculate deaths and synthesis in an ODE problem?

The key variables needed to calculate deaths and synthesis in an ODE problem are the initial conditions, the rate of death, and the rate of synthesis. These variables will vary depending on the specific problem being modeled.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving an ODE problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving an ODE problem include incorrect use of mathematical methods, incorrect input of initial conditions or rates, and not checking the validity of the solution. It is important to double-check your work and ensure that your solution makes sense in the context of the problem.