1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Simple Pendulum and Friction problem

1. Feb 9, 2004 #1
    Im supposed to calculate the work done by the frictional force on a simple pendulum after one period. I have to use the following equation to do this calculation.

((beta)^2)'= (2g/l)(cosbeta - costheta) where thetha is the the maximum angle of the motion.
    In other words theta is the angle at which the derivative of beta=0. l is the length of the pendulum string.

How do I use this equation to determine the path taken by the pendulum so I know what I am integrating the force of friction over?

By the way, I am given information regarding the initial position of the ball above the floor, the length of the pendulum wire, and the ceiling height.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2004 #2
    Nevermind the help, I figured it out. It was an easy question. Sorry for wasting internet space.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?