Calculating Probability of at Least One Left-Handed Person in a Classroom of 7

• Thread starter perplexabot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding the probability of at least one person being left-handed in a classroom of 7 people, given that approximately 10% of the population is left-handed and assuming independence. The individual asking for help shares their approach to the question and the answer they have calculated, which does not match any of the options provided. The conversation also touches on the possibility of a typo in the exercise and the correct answer being different from the given options.
perplexabot
Gold Member
Hello all. This is NOT homework. Here is the question:

Approximately 10% of the population is left-handed. In a classroom of 7 people, find the probability that at least one person is left handed. Assume independence.
a) 0.1000
b) 0.0823
c) 0.9176
d) 0.7000

Here is my approach to the question:

Let LH: left handed
and RH: right handed
P(at least 1 LH) = P(not all RH)
P(not all RH) = 1 - P(all RH)
P(all RH) = (1 - .1)^7 = .9^7
P(not all RH) = 1 - .9^7
P(at least 1 LH) = 1 - .9^7 = .5217

As can be seen, my answer is not one of the options shown above. I have been trying to do this question for a while now and have reached the point of frustration. May someone please help?

Note: Does my problem have to do with the fact that LH and RH are not mutually exclusive? In other words someone may be LH and RH?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach looks good to me.

It is not entirely unlikely that there is a typo in the exercise, and if it is taken from a textbook you may be lucky that an errata exists.

Likes 1 person
Your answer is right.
I don't understand how the source could get this so wrong. The answers are not even close to the correct one.

Likes 1 person
Thank you guys for your help. Now I can sleep comfortably : )
I was wondering if the answers provided were wrong.

perplexabot said:
Hello all. This is NOT homework.

It still belongs in homework since it is a textbook-style question. Please post in homework the next time.

micromass said:
It still belongs in homework since it is a textbook-style question. Please post in homework the next time.

Understood... Sorry for the inconvenience.

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood or chance of an event occurring. It is usually expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

2. How do you calculate probability?

To calculate probability, you divide the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

3. What is a simple probability question?

A simple probability question is a question that asks about the likelihood of a single event occurring. For example, "What is the probability of rolling a 4 on a six-sided die?"

4. How do you interpret probability?

Probability can be interpreted as a measure of uncertainty. The higher the probability, the more likely an event is to occur. It can also be interpreted as the proportion of times an event is expected to occur in a large number of trials.

5. What are some real-life applications of probability?

Probability is used in many fields, such as finance, sports, and weather forecasting. It is also used in everyday situations, such as deciding whether to bring an umbrella based on the probability of rain.