1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A simple problem in contour integration

1. Feb 27, 2012 #1
    greetings . this is my first post here . i am preparing myself for a complex analysis course that i will be taking next semester . i came across this problem , which is probably a very simple one , but i don't know how to go about it , so bare with me:biggrin:

we have the contour integration
    [tex] I(x)=\frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_{\sigma-iT}^{\sigma+iT}\left(\frac{x}{n}\right)^{s}ds[/tex]

where [itex] \Re(s) ,\sigma > 1[/itex]

x is a variable , and n is a constant .

i need the integration to yield a constant if [itex] x=n [/itex], and zero otherwise !?!?

my guess is that the function [itex] \frac{x}{n} [/itex] should be somehow modified to yield the desired result - constant for x=n , zero other wise - . or is it the contour that should be changed !?!?

your help is appreciated .

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2012 #2
    i'll try to make the question a bit clearer . we have the dirichlet series :

[tex]I(s)= \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{\alpha(n)}{n^{s}} , \Re(s)>1[/tex]

where [itex]\alpha(n) [/itex] is some arithmetic function of n .

now i am trying to use mellin transform, or any kind of transform akin to that of fourier's, to extract [itex] \alpha(n)[/itex] . i was hoping for a kernel - function of s - that is orthogonal to all terms except for the one containing the integer i want to extract [itex] \alpha(n)[/itex] for . meaning , i am trying to find a function [itex] f(x,s) [/itex] such that :

[tex]
    < f(x,s),n^{-s}>=\left\{\begin{matrix}
    k & , & x=n & \\
    0 & , & o.w &
    \end{matrix}\right.
    [/tex]

k is a constant

i hope this makes it clearer .

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  4. Feb 27, 2012 #3
    i think i found it . using Perron's formula :

[tex] \alpha(n)=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{2-i\infty}^{2+i\infty}I(s)\frac{\left(n+1/2\right)^{s}-\left(n-1/2 \right )^{s}}{s}ds[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?