1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A simple qestion

1. Dec 22, 2014 #1
    Three of four numbers have a sum of 22. If the average of
    the four numbers is 8, what is the fourth number?
    A. 4
    B. 6
    C. 8
    D. 10

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2014 #2
    apply the average rule:

the sum of all the numbers / the number of the numbers

you would get only one unknown to find.

4. Dec 22, 2014 #3
    I'm not given the other 3 numbers. I think I'm misinterpreting what you are saying sum/amount of numbers or sum/each number totaled up. 22/4=5.5 evenly distributed. I'm also running into an issue also one of the numbers doesn't necessarily have to be 8 the 4 numbers average is 8.

oh wait 3 of 4 numbers have a sum of eight. 6,7,, and 9=22 so the 4th number has to be 8. but 22/3=7.3 I mean visually it makes sense but mathematically I'm not getting the answer.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  5. Dec 22, 2014 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The average of the four numbers is 8. What is the sum of the four number?

6. Dec 22, 2014 #5
    Would that be (22+x)/4=8 ok I got 10. Thanks. I just had to think a bit more straighter. :)

7. Dec 22, 2014 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct! You could have done it without writing an equation.. if the average of N number is A, the sum of them is NA. The average of 4 number is 8, then the sum of them is 32. .But the sum of three of them is 22, and adding the fourth yields 32...

8. Dec 22, 2014 #7
    I don't know, I think I work better by writing down equations or just writing everything down.

9. Dec 22, 2014 #8

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Please use the template and show some effort.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook