What is the Fourth Number in this Math Problem?

• Thread starter Firedog89
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the fourth number in a set of four numbers with a sum of 22 and an average of 8. Applying the average rule, the sum of all the numbers divided by the number of numbers, we can determine that the fourth number must be 8. Without writing an equation, we can also determine that the sum of the four numbers is 32, since the average of 4 numbers is 8. Using this information, we can solve for the fourth number by subtracting the sum of three numbers (22) from the total sum (32), resulting in a fourth number of 10.
Firedog89
Three of four numbers have a sum of 22. If the average of
the four numbers is 8, what is the fourth number?
A. 4
B. 6
C. 8
D. 10

Physics news on Phys.org
apply the average rule:

the sum of all the numbers / the number of the numbers

you would get only one unknown to find.

I'm not given the other 3 numbers. I think I'm misinterpreting what you are saying sum/amount of numbers or sum/each number totaled up. 22/4=5.5 evenly distributed. I'm also running into an issue also one of the numbers doesn't necessarily have to be 8 the 4 numbers average is 8.

oh wait 3 of 4 numbers have a sum of eight. 6,7,, and 9=22 so the 4th number has to be 8. but 22/3=7.3 I mean visually it makes sense but mathematically I'm not getting the answer.

Last edited:
The average of the four numbers is 8. What is the sum of the four number?

Would that be (22+x)/4=8 ok I got 10. Thanks. I just had to think a bit more straighter. :)

Correct! You could have done it without writing an equation.. if the average of N number is A, the sum of them is NA. The average of 4 number is 8, then the sum of them is 32. .But the sum of three of them is 22, and adding the fourth yields 32...

I don't know, I think I work better by writing down equations or just writing everything down.

Please use the template and show some effort.

Likes Maged Saeed

1. What is the fourth number in this math problem?

The fourth number in a math problem is the number that comes after the third number and before the fifth number. It is the fourth number in the sequence.

2. How do I find the fourth number in a math problem?

To find the fourth number in a math problem, you can either look for patterns in the numbers given or use mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division to calculate the fourth number.

3. What if there is no fourth number given in the math problem?

If there is no fourth number given in the math problem, it is either an incomplete problem or the fourth number is meant to be found using other information provided. In this case, you can try to solve the problem using the given numbers and equations.

4. Why is the fourth number important in a math problem?

The fourth number is important in a math problem because it helps to complete the sequence or pattern and provides a more accurate and complete solution to the problem. It is also important in understanding the relationship between the given numbers.

5. Is there a specific method to determine the fourth number in a math problem?

There is no specific method to determine the fourth number in a math problem as it can vary depending on the type of problem and the given information. However, using logical thinking and basic mathematical operations can help in finding the fourth number.