Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A simple question about coordinate sytems

1. Sep 28, 2013 #1
    Hi I didn't post this in homework help, as I didn't feel my question belonged there. If it doesn't belong here, my apologies.

I recently took an exam and it turns out I got the first question wrong according to my professor. The problem states:
    "In the diagram four vectors are represented by arrows in the xy plane. Each division represents 1 meter" "What is vector d?"
    Because the problem stated it was in the XY plane I put the answer as <-3,4>, but my professor took off a point for not accounting for the z coordinate.

I'd like a second opinion please.

http://gyazo.com/b54c3535fd7fd5f95138e7af3e68d786.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2013 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Did your homework questions on this subject usually have you write the Z coordinate even when zero or when the problem was stated to be in an XY plane?

4. Sep 28, 2013 #3
    Yes, but on our homework questions it would clearly state it was an XYZ coordinate system and include a Z axis. I thought the problem was a trick question to make sure we were paying attention and not writing the z just for the sake of writing it.

Here is a similar homework problem:
    http://gyazo.com/4b63e64b66621fa1a50f41cec00146e7.png [Broken]

I think that problem alone warrants me to the right to question my professors solution.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Sep 28, 2013 #4

Drakkith

I'd talk to your instructor, explain what went on in your mind, and then see if he will give the point back. If he won't, then I'd ask him to change the question to state it was an XYZ plane in order to avoid future confusion. In any case I'd say it's up to him. Of course, if you REALLY want to get into it you can always go to whoever is above him.

6. Sep 28, 2013 #5

Drakkith

Personally I agree. Just remember that if you're ever confused on what a question is asking you, ask the instructor or test proctor or whoever.

7. Sep 28, 2013 #6
    Thank you very much Drakkith. I hate confrontations, but I'll go to her office hours soon. This is resolved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook