A simple question but i don't get it

• Thread starter Tensaiga
  • Start date
In summary, the quarterback must throw the football at an angle of approximately 18 degrees, relative to the sidelines, in order to hit the open receiver. The receiver is approximately 23 meters downfield from the quarterback. The correct calculation for the angle is tan = 2.5/8 and the velocity of the ball relative to the ground is 17.35 degrees. Using the Pythagorean Theorem, the total distance traveled by the ball is approximately 22.80 meters.
Tensaiga
Hello, there's my question.

A quarterback is running across the field, parallel to the line of scrimmage, at a constant speed of 2.5m/s, when he spots an open, stationary receiver straight downfield from him (ie, in a line parallel to the sidelines). If he can throw the football at a speed of 8.0m/s, relative to himself, at what angle, relative to the sidelines, must he throw it in order to hit the receiver? How far downfield was the receiver

I drew a diagram but i got 72 degress and 25m as the answer... but the correct answer should be 18 degrees and 23m. where did i go wrong?

i used tan = 8/2.5 and used that answer mutiplied by the velocity.

Thanks

Sorry i posted in the wrong place, just saw the head lines now...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show us your work.

Hint: What is the velocity of the ball relative to the (static) ground.

oh never mind i get it now = =

it's suppose to be Tan angle = 2.5/8
= 17.35 degrees

then C^2 = A^2 + B^2
= 22.80m
thanks~

1. What is the meaning of "A simple question but i don't get it"?

The phrase "A simple question but i don't get it" can have different meanings depending on the context. It could indicate confusion or a lack of understanding about a particular subject or topic.

2. Why do people ask "A simple question but i don't get it"?

People may ask "A simple question but i don't get it" because they genuinely do not understand the topic and need clarification. It could also be a way to express frustration or seek reassurance from others.

3. How can I respond to someone who says "A simple question but i don't get it"?

If someone says "A simple question but i don't get it" to you, try to explain the topic in a different way or break it down into smaller, easier to understand concepts. You can also ask them specific questions to identify where their confusion lies.

4. Is it okay to ask "A simple question but i don't get it" in a scientific setting?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask "A simple question but i don't get it" in a scientific setting. In fact, it is encouraged as it shows a willingness to learn and understand complex concepts.

5. Can asking "A simple question but i don't get it" lead to better scientific understanding?

Yes, asking "A simple question but i don't get it" can lead to better scientific understanding. By seeking clarification and asking questions, you can gain a deeper understanding of the topic and potentially contribute to further research and discoveries.