Calculating Density: A Challenge for Aviation Maintenance Students

In summary, calculating density is an important skill for aviation maintenance students as it allows them to determine the weight and balance of aircrafts. This involves understanding the relationship between mass and volume and using the formula density = mass/volume to solve for density. Students must also be familiar with different units of measurement and how to convert between them. Accurate calculations of density are crucial for ensuring safe and efficient flights, making it a challenging yet essential concept for aviation maintenance students to master.
AMTSOUTH
My teacher gave us a problem to find the density of an object that weighs 40 lbs. and has a volume of 120 cubic inches. I think the answer is .33 lbs. per cubic inch, my teacher said it is 3.3 and some of my classmates said it was something way different. In my teachers defense he is a mechanic, not a physicist, trying to teach an Aviation Maintenance Tech. program. He gets a lot of stuff wrong and the students have to keep correcting him, but he could fix anything on an aircraft. Please help me and explain the your process! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

I'd say you were correct. There's not much to it: Weight/Volume, both of which are given.

Ask your teacher to explain his answer and show his calculation.

Thank you!

Density is mass/volume and if you were using SI units it would be mass in kg/volume in m^3
not weight in Newtons/volume

Emilyjoint said:
Density is mass/volume and if you were using SI units it would be mass in kg/volume in m^3
not weight in Newtons/volume
The OP is not using SI units.

In English units, pounds without a qualifier is a unit of mass. Pounds force is a unit of force.

D H said:
In English units, pounds without a qualifier is a unit of mass. Pounds force is a unit of force.
Last time I checked, the slug was the unit of mass.

but density definately = mass/volume not weight/volume ?

Emilyjoint said:
but density definately = mass/volume not weight/volume ?
Some people use weight density, which is weight/volume. Given the context, that's what I presumed. (But pound mass would also work.)

But you're right, density usually means mass/volume.

I have never met density given in Newtons/m^3 and I would lose marks if I wrote density = weight/volume.
I would love to know who, in physics, uses weight density. Who teaches that !

Emilyjoint said:
I have never met density given in Newtons/m^3 and I would lose marks if I wrote density = weight/volume.

Without any qualifier on the word "pound", a pound is unit of mass, not force. Pounds per cubic inch is a density.

Perhaps you are thinking of the pound force. Some people use pound without a qualifier as a force. This is erroneous. This is somewhat okay when it is obvious that the quantity in question is a force. For example, pressure in pounds per square inch. This is better written as pounds force per square inch (or just use psi, which is short for pounds force per square inch).

Emilyjoint said:
It's a crazy world out there!

The present problem says the 40 pounds are a weight, and weight is a force.

Is the distinction between mass and weight commonly made in metric countries?

I asked my brother in law who used to teach science at the middle school level in Mexico, how he would express the weight of an astronaut walking on the moon. Would he say he has 1/6 his weight on Earth in kilos or in Newtons. He replied "in kilos" and didn't even know what Newtons were.

Is this common in other metric countries?

I have just looke on the beloved Wiki...In the US oil and gas industry weight density is sometimes used.
It certainly is a crazy world. I am worried enough about physics lessons and 'help'

D H said:
Perhaps you are thinking of the pound force. Some people use pound without a qualifier as a force. This is erroneous.
Just to nitpick (though I defer to your opinion on the matter): Back in the day, in some elementary physics classes, rightly or wrongly an unqualified 'pound' always meant a force and the corresponding unit of mass was the slug. (Perhaps this was just 'understood' in the context of that textbook/class.)

Edit:
Ah... I happen to have my trusty Halliday & Resnick (1966) right here:

"Legally the pound is a unit of mass but in engineering practice the pound is treated as a unit of force or weight"

"In this book only forces will be measured in pounds. Thus the corresponding unit of mass is the slug."

Last edited:

tms said:
The present problem says the 40 pounds are a weight, and weight is a force.
You are reading too much into the term "weighs" ("an object that weighs 40 lbs.") . Weight, particularly in English units, is often a synonym for mass -- unless the quantity in question is a force.

That weight in pounds force and mass in pounds mass are more or less numerically equal is at times rather convenient for problems here on the Earth.

does that textbook say that density = weight/volume?

Emilyjoint said:
does that textbook say that density = weight/volume?
That would be atypical in a physics text, but engineering is another story!

Doc Al said:
Edit:
Ah... I happen to have my trusty Halliday & Resnick (1966) right here:

"Legally the pound is a unit of mass but in engineering practice the pound is treated as a unit of force or weight"
In practice, some engineers who insist on using English units use pounds mass for mass, others use slugs. (The poundal as a unit of force is pretty much dead, fortunately.) Some of those engineers who use pounds mass and pounds force are nicely explicit and use lbm and lbf. Others leave it up to the reader to determine whether that "lb" in their spec document is a unit of mass or force. It's a mess.

My dad did physics in the 60s and he tells me that pounds, slugs and poundals were a mystery.
He tells me that sometimes to get the right answer 'you had to multiply by 32'... something to do with mass and weight and feet per second.
Wikki says that force is poundals.
good night !

D H said:
You are reading too much into the term "weighs" ("an object that weighs 40 lbs.") . Weight, particularly in English units, is often a synonym for mass -- unless the quantity in question is a force.
That's just sloppiness, caused in part by the fact that the English verb `weighs' is so convenient, whereas `masses' is rather ugly.

That weight in pounds force and mass in pounds mass are more or less numerically equal is at times rather convenient for problems here on the Earth.
They are numerically equal only here on Earth. Or wherever [itex]g[/itex] is the same by coincidence.

Most likely there was no distinction at all between mass and weight before Isaac Newton and the languages haven't evolved to keep up with science.

My dictionary doesn't recognize a verb, to mass, meaning to determine the mass of an object.

skeptic2 said:
My dictionary doesn't recognize a verb, to mass, meaning to determine the mass of an object.
This is English. We can verb nouns whenever we want to. As Calvin said to Hobbes, "Verbing weirds language" (or words to that effect).

1. What is density and why is it important in aviation maintenance?

Density is a measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume. In aviation maintenance, it is important to calculate density in order to ensure that aircraft components and fluids, such as fuel and oil, are within safe and optimal limits for flight.

2. How is density calculated?

Density is calculated by dividing the mass of an object or substance by its volume. The formula for density is: Density = Mass / Volume. The units of density are typically expressed in grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) for solids and liquids, and in kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3) for gases.

3. What challenges do aviation maintenance students face when calculating density?

Aviation maintenance students may face challenges in calculating density due to the complexity of aircraft systems and the variety of materials and fluids used in aviation. They may also struggle with converting units of measurement and understanding the significance of density in maintaining safe and efficient aircraft operations.

4. What are some techniques for accurately measuring density?

Some techniques for accurately measuring density include using a hydrometer, which measures the density of liquids, and a balance scale, which can measure the mass of solid objects. Students should also be familiar with conversion factors and be able to use appropriate formulas to calculate density.

5. How can understanding density benefit aviation maintenance students in their future careers?

Understanding density is crucial for aviation maintenance students as it allows them to properly maintain and troubleshoot aircraft systems. It also helps them identify potential issues and make informed decisions for safe and efficient operation of aircraft. Additionally, knowledge of density can lead to better job opportunities and advancement in the field of aviation maintenance.