Why Do My Calculations for Ship Positions Differ from the Textbook Answers?

• Thread starter delcypher
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a question involving two ships leaving port at different speeds and directions. The question is answered using equations and a diagram, with the correct answers being provided by the person asking the question. The book's answers are incorrect and it is unknown why they differ from the correct ones.
delcypher
Hi this seems like a simple question (and probably is) but I keep getting the answers wrong.

Homework Statement

Two ships, A and B, leave port P at the same time. Ship A travels due north at a steady speed of 15kmh[tex]^{-1}[/tex] and ship B travels N 60[tex]^{o}[/tex] E at a speed of 10kmh[tex]^{-1}[/tex].

i) What is the distance and direction from A to B after 1 hour?
ii) What is the velocity of B relative to A?

Homework Equations

c[tex]^{2}[/tex] = a[tex]^{2}[/tex] + [tex]^{2}[/tex] - 2.a.b.COSC

COS 60[tex]^{o}[/tex] = 0.5; SIN 30[tex]^{o}[/tex] = 0.5; cos 30[tex]^{o}[/tex] = ([tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex])/2

The Attempt at a Solution

The workings can be seen here (sorry I prefer to write):
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=551574&g2_serialNumber=1"

The answer given in the book for the distance between A and B in i) should be 13.33Km, my calculations make it 13.23Km, it's close but not enough for me to be certain I've done it correctly.

The direction for i) is correct they've (in my opinion) written it a strange way.

I wrote 139.11[tex]^{o}[/tex] (from North clockwise) or E 49.11[tex]^{o}[/tex] S. They wrote S 40[tex]^{o}[/tex] 54' E - this means S 40.9[tex]^{o}[/tex] E

My answer for ii) is very close 13.23kmh[tex]^{-1}[/tex], but they give 13.22kmh[tex]^{-1}[/tex].

Can anyone shed any light on what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me. Your answers are correct.

Would you say then that the book's answers are incorrect?

Maybe they've used a different method and rounded with the cos30 rather than using it's surd value?

I agree with your answers; where the book disagrees, the book is incorrect. Beats me why--but it does happen.

okay, thank-you for taking the time to look at my messy workings.

1. Why do I keep getting the same answer wrong?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be that you are not fully understanding the question or the concept being tested. It could also be that you are making a small mistake in your calculations or using incorrect information. It's important to carefully read and analyze the question and double check your work before submitting your answer.

2. How can I improve my accuracy in answering this question?

Practice and review are key in improving your accuracy. Make sure you understand the concept being tested and try to solve similar questions to get a better grasp on it. It's also helpful to go back and review your mistakes to understand where you went wrong and how to avoid it in the future.

3. Is there a specific strategy I should use to answer this question?

The best strategy will depend on the question and your own learning style. However, some general tips include carefully reading the question, breaking it down into smaller parts, and using any given information to your advantage. It's also important to show all your work and double check your answer before submitting.

4. Can I ask for help in understanding this question?

Yes, you can always ask for help from your teacher, classmates, or a tutor if you are struggling to understand a question. It's important to seek clarification or guidance in order to improve your understanding and accuracy in answering the question.

5. Should I guess if I am unsure of the answer?

This depends on the type of question and any penalties for incorrect answers. If there are no penalties, it may be worth guessing as you have a chance of getting it right. However, if there are penalties, it may be better to leave the question blank or use any given information to eliminate some answer choices before guessing.