1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A simple question on integration

1. May 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to take an antiderivative of a function with respect to x. But in addition the function includes a term y (x) that is a function of x itself. Do I have to apply the reverse power rule also to y(x) also? The integral can be seen as an indefinite.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]A=\int x*y(x)*dx[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I should just apply the reverse power rule to x. So:

[itex]A= \frac{x^{2}}{2}*y(x) + C [/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can answer your own question---and that is the best way to learn! Just try it out on some examples. What do you get if you use your formula on the function ##y(x) = x^2##? What happens if you use your formula on ##y(x) = 1/x^2##? Are you getting correct results?

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  4. May 12, 2014 #3
    What you are looking for is something called integration by parts.

5. May 14, 2014 #4
    Okay, then I believe I was mistaken. It seems that I also need to apply the reverse power rule to ##y(x)##.
    So an example:
    ##y(x)=2*x##

[itex]A=\int^{2}_{1} x*y(x)*dx=\int^{2}_{1} x*2*x*dx[/itex]
    [itex]A=\left|2\frac{x^{3}}{3}\right|^{2}_{1}=4.6667[/itex]

Is this correct?

I also looked up the integration by parts and it seems that in the above example it was possible to do without the integration by parts. But can someone give a good example why and when is it necessary to turn to the integration by parts technique?

6. May 14, 2014 #5

pasmith

Homework Helper

Try [itex]\displaystyle\int_0^\pi x \sin x\,dx[/itex] or [itex]\displaystyle\int_0^1 x e^{-x}\,dx[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted