1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A simple question which got me confused.

1. Sep 18, 2006 #1
    a small block slides from rest from the top of a frictionless sphere of radius R, how far below the top x does it lose contact with the sphere? the sphere doesnt move.
    the question is from kleppner's in troduction to mechanics page 196 problem 4.6. (my scanner doesnt work so i cant scan the picture).

anyway, x is the displacement from when the block was on top the shpere up until where it loses contact with the sphere.

what i got so far is:
    i calculated the tan of the angle of velocity, i got that tan(a)=sqrt(2Rx-x^2)/x and i got by energies that v^2=2xg and i know that v_y/v_x=tg(a) and v^2=v_y^2+v_x^2
    and that v_y^2=xg, but after all that i didnt get the answer in the book, which is R/3.
    can someone help me here?
    thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Loss of contact implies that the normal force N equals 0. Since N = mgcosA - mv^2/R, we have cosA = v^2/(Rg). Since you already found the velocity v for a displacement x, your problem is solved.

4. Sep 18, 2006 #3
    im having a problem here:
    iv'e done the calclulation for v, v^2=2xg
    and cos(a)=x/sqrt(2xR)
    but then:
    x/sqrt(2xR)=v^2/Rg=2xg/Rg=2x/R
    x/2R=4x^2/R^2
    Rx=8x^2
    x=R/8
    and according to my book the answer is R/3, where did i go wrong here?

5. Sep 19, 2006 #4
    someone can help me here?
    any help is appreciated.

6. Sep 19, 2006 #5
    Find cos(a) in terms of x and R from what you've already found out[cos(a) = v^2/Rg] and then find what cos(a) is from the diagram (right triangle).Equate the two.

7. Sep 19, 2006 #6
    a is the angle of the velocity of the block, i found that:
    cos(a)=x/sqrt(2xR)
    bus as i said i dont get in the end the right answer, which is R/3.

8. Sep 19, 2006 #7
    angle of the velocity?

Take a look at radou's post. A is the angle bet. the vertical and the position at which the block falls off.

9. Sep 19, 2006 #8
    so how should i calculate the angle, i thought that my calclualtion was correct i.e cos(a)=x/sqrt(2xR)
    how should i calculate the angle?

10. Sep 19, 2006 #9
    what did i do wrong here?

11. Sep 19, 2006 #10
    [tex]\cos{a} = \frac{v^2}{Rg}[/tex]

[tex]v^2 = 2gx[/tex] - conservation of energy

Also, [tex]\cos{a} = \frac{R-x}{R}[/tex] (from the right triangle)

Angle a is measured clockwise from the vertical two the point where the block loses contact.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?