Solving Simultaneous Equations in INDIA | Grade 12

• Thread starter AlbertEinstein
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about solving simultaneous equations and a few hints were given to manipulate the variables. The suggested method was to substitute x and y with m^2 and n^2 and then solving for m and n. The conversation then continued with different suggestions on how to solve the equations, with one person suggesting using a substitution method.
AlbertEinstein
:smile: Hi Everbody,
I am a new member to this forum.I am from INDIA and studying in grade 12.
I was struck in a question and need help.Hope someone could solve it.
The question is to solve these simultaneous equations:-
√x + y = a -------- (i)
x +√y = b ---------- (ii)

I have a few hints such as making a change in variable by introducing
x = m^2 and y= n^2 and then doing some algebraic manipulations to get
(m-n)(1-m-n)=a-b
But I don't know know what to do next. Plz help.

Attachments

• eq.JPG
    eq.JPG
    1.5 KB · Views: 378
Mathematics news on Phys.org
AlbertEinstein said:
:smile: Hi Everbody,
I am a new member to this forum.I am from INDIA and studying in grade 12.
I was struck in a question and need help.Hope someone could solve it.
The question is to solve these simultaneous equations:-
√x + y = a -------- (i)
x +√y = b ---------- (ii)

I have a few hints such as making a change in variable by introducing
x = m^2 and y= n^2 and then doing some algebraic manipulations to get
(m-n)(1-m-n)=a-b
But I don't know know what to do next. Plz help.
Those "algebraic manipulations" don't help because you are left with one equation in two variables. After you have m2+ n= b and m+ n2= a, you can solve the first for n: n= b- m2 and then substitute in the second: m+ (b-m2)2= a. That gives a single, fourth degree, equation for m.

Last edited by a moderator:
sqrt(x)+y=a
Sqrt(y)+x=b

I'd simply...use a substitution after working around w/ them

sqrt(x)=a-y
sqrt(y)=b-x

x=a^2 - 2ay + y^2
y=b^2 -2bx + x^2

And now...stick the x into the y=

y=B^2 -2b(a^2 - 2ay + y^2) + (a^2 - 2ay + y^2)^2
And algebrate. it's ugly but you can't dodge the forth power I don't think. SUbstitute y from both sides and you'll have the =0

1. What are simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are a set of equations that contain multiple variables and must be solved together to find the values of those variables. In other words, they are equations that are dependent on each other and cannot be solved individually.

2. How are simultaneous equations solved?

There are multiple methods for solving simultaneous equations, but the most common ones are the substitution method, elimination method, and graphing method. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate one variable and then solving for the remaining variables.

3. Why are simultaneous equations important in India's Grade 12 curriculum?

Simultaneous equations are important in India's Grade 12 curriculum because they are used to solve real-world problems and are essential in advanced mathematics and science courses. They also help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. What are some real-life applications of simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are used in various fields such as engineering, economics, physics, and chemistry. They can be used to solve problems related to interest rates, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits, among others.

5. Are there any tips for solving simultaneous equations efficiently?

Yes, there are a few tips for solving simultaneous equations efficiently. First, make sure to clearly label and organize the equations. Then, choose the most appropriate method for solving the equations based on their structure. It's also helpful to check your final solution by plugging it back into the original equations to ensure it is correct.