Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A simple question

1. May 22, 2005 #1
    i just finished calculus bc ap at my school, and i have no more math classes to take there; i need all 4 years of math to graduate with honors :confused: . im planning on taking a college course in math next year, but i dont know what math course to take. i was wondering if any of you had any suggestions on the next step in my acquisition for math knowledge. thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2005 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would suggest either of the following: Linear Algebra (the easiest), Real analysis (if you feel courageous) or Algebra (aka Abstract Algebra).

P.S. There is a sub-forum here called Academic and Career guidance where I think this post belongs. (But don't repost it there, the moderators will move it themselves if the feel the need)

Last edited: May 22, 2005
  4. May 22, 2005 #3
    what type of problems are involved in real analysis and abstract algebra?

hehe, guess the wrong section to post this...moderators feel free to move it :smile:

5. May 22, 2005 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In real analysis, you will relearn everything you've learn in calculus but you'll learn calculus the way it really is. i.e. with everything expressed through the rigourous notion of limits. Almost every problem you'll have to solve start with "show that..." :wink: Subject of study are sequences, limits, functions, differentiability, numerical series, and maybe a small intro to topology.

Algebra is what is behind linear algebra (though you can take linear algebra w/o knowing any algebra). You start with sets, define functions rigorously, then have fun with groups and rings (though you probably won't touch rings in a 1 semester course) which are sets with specific proprieties.

Last edited: May 22, 2005
  6. May 22, 2005 #5
    im always looking for a challenge, so i think ill challenge myself with real analysis. the description you provided makes it seem like calculus with proofs. that ought to be fun :rofl: . ill talk to my bc teacher and see what she thinks. thanks quasar987 :wink: .

7. May 22, 2005 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

no problem mate. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?