A Simple The 100-Kyr Tidal Cycle?

In summary, the Keeling paper suggests that there is a periodic occurrence of cooling events that coincide with the Huaynaputina stratovolcano exploding. However, this theory is contested by the fact that the stratovolcano exploded in 1600 which is well documented.
Mammo
I was slightly exasperated with this http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/289/5486/1897 report:

"It is difficult to explain this predominant cycle in terms of orbital eccentricity because the 100,000-year radiation cycle (arising from eccentricity variations) is much too small in amplitude and too late in phase to produce the corresponding climatic cycle by direct forcing"

Why isn't the tidal cycle due to eccentricity variations given due consideration? The http://pangea.stanford.edu/research/Oceans/GES205/1800yrTidalCycleForcingAbruptClimateChange.pdf give the tidal explanation much credibility. I further propose that the tidal variation could be amplified due to the effect of gravitational entropy (this is a subtle proposal which links the Earth science mysteries with those of modern physics). All of the major components of the system discussed are affected by tidal forces i.e. deep-sea temperature, the CO2 cycle, and the Dole effect. So why it is so blatantly ignored?

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
That report talks of tidal variations at a period of 1,800 yrs which differs from the 100,000 yr cycle that you originally referred to. Granted, you might expect tidal cycles to match up with eccentricity cycles, in which case you would need to explain the amplitude and the phase that these cycles would theoretically have on climate (I guess you would need to understand how the oceans interacted at these scales)- do they match?

billiards said:
That report talks of tidal variations at a period of 1,800 yrs which differs from the 100,000 yr cycle that you originally referred to. Granted, you might expect tidal cycles to match up with eccentricity cycles, in which case you would need to explain the amplitude and the phase that these cycles would theoretically have on climate (I guess you would need to understand how the oceans interacted at these scales)- do they match?

The end of the report touches on the application of the idea to explain the 100-kyr orbital cycle:

"We tentatively conclude that, although varying eccentricity strongly affects tidal forcing, and could possibly contribute to the 100-kyr cycle of glaciation.."

The depth of the report suggests that there is a good match with the millennial cycle. I'm not an expert, but I can see that this is a distinct possibility of an explanation made by recognised scientists in the field. I just don't know why the tidal cycle is not more widely discussed.

The Keeling paper makes the following statement on the first page:

Interpretations of sediment-cores by Bond et el indicate, however, that a 1- to 2-kyr periodicity persisted almost to the present, characterized by distinct cooling events, including the Little Ice Age that climaxed near A.D. 1600.

The problem with this is that it is well established that the Huaynaputina stratovolcano in Peru exploded in the year 1600. Sulfuric acid levels (aerosal cooling) in the Greenland ice sheets were extremely high. Numerous records of famines, tree rings and ice conditions show that 1601 was one of the coldest in history and not surprisingly it took years for the climate to recover.

Last edited:
Xnn said:
The Keeling paper makes the following statement on the first page:

Interpretations of sediment-cores by Bond et el indicate, however, that a 1- to 2-kyr periodicity persisted almost to the present, characterized by distinct cooling events, including the Little Ice Age that climaxed near A.D. 1600.

The problem with this is that it is well established that the Huaynaputina stratovolcano in Peru exploded in the year 1600. Sulfuric acid levels (aerosal cooling) in the Greenland ice sheets were extremely high. Numerous records of famines, tree rings and ice conditions show that 1601 was one of the coldest in history and not surprisingly it took years for the climate to recover.

I don't understand how you interpret the Huaynaputina eruption as a problem. The millennial cycle is shown to persist into the Holocene. This doesn't exclude the notion of climatic events being caused by the occassional volcanic eruption as well. The 1,800-yr tidal cycle of the Moon to explain the millennial cycle is a convincing one in my mind.

What is the 100-Kyr Tidal Cycle?

The 100-Kyr Tidal Cycle is a phenomenon in which the Earth's climate undergoes a cycle of warming and cooling every 100,000 years due to changes in the Earth's orbit and tilt. This cycle has been observed through geological and climate data and is believed to be driven by variations in solar radiation.

How is the 100-Kyr Tidal Cycle studied?

The 100-Kyr Tidal Cycle is studied through various methods, including analysis of sediment and ice cores, geological records, and computer simulations. These methods allow scientists to reconstruct past climate patterns and make predictions about future changes in the Earth's climate.

What causes the 100-Kyr Tidal Cycle?

The 100-Kyr Tidal Cycle is caused by changes in the Earth's orbit and tilt, known as Milankovitch cycles. These changes affect the amount and distribution of solar radiation reaching the Earth's surface, leading to changes in the Earth's climate.

Is the 100-Kyr Tidal Cycle a natural or human-induced phenomenon?

The 100-Kyr Tidal Cycle is a natural phenomenon that has been occurring for millions of years. However, human activities, such as burning fossil fuels and deforestation, have contributed to the current warming trend and may impact the future occurrence of the 100-Kyr Tidal Cycle.

What are the potential impacts of the 100-Kyr Tidal Cycle?

The 100-Kyr Tidal Cycle can have significant impacts on the Earth's climate, including changes in temperature, sea level, and precipitation patterns. These changes can in turn affect ecosystems, agriculture, and human societies. Understanding and predicting the 100-Kyr Tidal Cycle is crucial for developing strategies to mitigate and adapt to these impacts.

Back