1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A simple (?) vector problem

1. Oct 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the vector [tex]\bm{B}=\left(\frac{\partial A_{\theta}}{\partial r}-\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial A_r}{\partial \theta}\right)\hat{\phi}[/tex]

[tex]A_r[/tex] and [tex]A_{\theta}[/tex] are the components of the basis vectors [tex]\hat{r}[/tex] and [tex]\hat{\theta}[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution

I just calculated the differentials in the expression for B above, but that gave me a factor [tex]1/r[/tex] too much in the answer. My textbook rewrites B as

[tex]\bm{B}=\frac{1}{r}\left(\frac{\partial (A_{\theta}r)}{\partial r}-\frac{\partial A_r}{\partial \theta}\right)\hat{\phi}[/tex].

They've broken out a factor [tex]1/r[/tex] before differentiating, but I don't understand the

[tex]\frac{\partial (A_{\theta}r)}{\partial r}[/tex]

part. Why isn't it

[tex]r\frac{\partial (A_{\theta})}{\partial r}[/tex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree with you and I don't agree with the textbook.

4. Oct 15, 2009 #3
    Unfortunately for us, I have another textbook that agrees with the first. I don't think it's likely that two professional physicists makes exactly the same mistake on such a (I guess) basic thing.

5. Oct 15, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, if I put A_theta=1 and A_r=1, I certainly don't get the same result for B for the two expressions. That's about all I can say.

6. Oct 15, 2009 #5
    I know, it's a mystery. Perhaps I should provide some more information. B is the cross product of the operator del and another vector, A, expressed in polar coordinates (B is only a function of [tex]r[/tex] and [tex]\theta[/tex]).

7. Oct 15, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It sounds like you are computing the curl of A. If you are working in cylindrical coordinates, and A is independent of z, and the z component of A is independent of r and theta, then your second expression is the curl if you replace the theta hat with a z hat. That's a near as I can get to figuring out what you are up to. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CylindricalCoordinates.html

8. Oct 15, 2009 #7
    Yes, it's the curl I'm trying to calculate. I see now that I've been working with an incorrect http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/curl.html#c2". I still don't know where the factor [tex]r[/tex] in front of [tex]\bm{E}_\theta[/tex] in the determinant (see the link I provided) comes from, though.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook