1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A simple waveform help please

1. Jul 16, 2005 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As an absolute value of something, or as a piecewise definition for each of the intervals that has a continuous derivative.

4. Jul 16, 2005 #3
    I'm sorry i do not follow. I understand if it was just a ramp function it would just be (Vm/T) t but i still dont know

5. Jul 16, 2005 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The last waveform is called a Full-wave rectified sine. It is a sine function with all the negative regions flipped to positive. It is the absolute value of the sine function

[tex] f(x) = \left| {A\sin 2\pi \frac{t}{T}} \right| = A\left| {\sin 2\pi \frac{t}{T}} \right| [/tex]

or you could write separate functions for the separate intervals with alternating plus and minus signs in front of the sine function.

6. Jul 16, 2005 #5
    i see.. so am i correct to say that the equation for f(x) for the third waveform would be Asin(4pi/T)?

7. Jul 16, 2005 #6

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. For one thing you need a variable, t, in the argument of the sine function (T is a constant) and you need to define the function to be zero in the intervals where the waveform is zero. One way to do that would be to take 1/2 times your second waveform and add A/2 so that the square wave is between 0 and A; then use that in place of the A in the sine function you have.

8. Jul 17, 2005 #7
    for the full rectified sine wave, the equation for f(t) from 0 to T/2. can it not have a sin in the equation maybe something like A(1-t^2)? (i know that's incorrect)

9. Jul 17, 2005 #8
    anyone? :(

10. Jul 18, 2005 #9

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure what you are asking. For the full-wave rectified sine the function is a sine function from 0 to T

[tex] f(x) = A\sin \pi \frac{t}{T}} [/tex]

Between T and 2T it is

[tex] f(x) = -A\sin \pi \frac{t}{T}} [/tex]

There is no 1-t^2 involved

11. Jul 18, 2005 #10

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

CORRECTION!

Sorry, I misinterpreted the T as being the period of the sine function. In fact 2T is the period in the figure. This should have been

[tex] f(x) = \left| {A\sin \pi \frac{t}{T}} \right| = A\left| {\sin \pi \frac{t}{T}} \right| [/tex]

12. Jul 18, 2005 #11

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From 0 to T/2 or from nT to (n+1/2)T this should be

[tex] f(x) = {A\sin 2\pi \frac{t}{T}} [/tex]

From T/2 to T or from (n+1/2)T to (n+1)T f(x) is zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?