Ignorance about a particle in a box

In summary, the conversation is discussing whether or not physics can still be applied to an object if there is no way to detect or describe it. The question is whether physics still works on an object that cannot be observed or measured. The mentor points out that physics will still work on the object regardless of whether or not we are aware of it. The mentor also suggests reading about the uncertainty principle and warns against posting about the particle in a box problem without further research.
Quarlep
Lets suppose we have an object but we cannot tell anything about it.Energy,speed anything you can imagine.If there's no speed or energy,Is this means we can't tell object situation in physics Is that possible.Cause we have a object but we cannot describe the situation of it (I mean using physics).So physics don't work in that object?

Mentor's note: In a later post, Quarlep clarified that the question he's trying to ask is:
If we have a particle, but there's no way to detect it, does physics still work on that object?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Physics will work perfectly well on the object whether YOU know anything about it or not.

My kids are somewhere in my house but right now I don't know where they are or what they are doing. I'm hope the laws of physics still applies to them.

What was the question again?

Are you asking about..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_principle

As Zz said, this is silly. Thread closed.

Please read up on the particle in a box problem before posting another iteration of it.

1. What is a particle in a box?

A particle in a box is a simplified model used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of a particle confined within a one-dimensional box. It is a theoretical construct used to understand the behavior of particles in confined spaces.

2. How does a particle behave in a box?

A particle in a box can only occupy certain energy levels, known as quantum states, within the box. These energy levels are quantized, meaning they can only have certain discrete values. The particle's behavior is described by the Schrödinger equation, which determines the probability of finding the particle at a certain location in the box.

3. What is the significance of a particle in a box?

The particle in a box model is important because it helps us understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, such as quantization and wave-particle duality. It also has practical applications in fields such as nanotechnology and solid-state physics.

4. Can a particle in a box escape the box?

No, a particle in a box is confined within the boundaries of the box and cannot escape. This is because the potential energy within the box is infinite, meaning the particle cannot have enough energy to escape.

5. How does the size of the box affect the behavior of the particle?

The size of the box affects the energy levels and allowed quantum states of the particle. A larger box will have more energy levels and a greater distance between them, while a smaller box will have fewer energy levels and they will be closer together. This can also affect the probability of finding the particle at a certain location in the box.