Mass of Block 1 & Static Friction Info for Block-Table System

In summary, the block shown in the given link has a mass of 10.3 kg and a coefficient of static friction of μs = 0.36 and a coefficient of kinetic friction of μk = 0.336. To find the mass of the second block so that m1 is on the verge of sliding, the calculation is (10.3 kg)*(0.36). To find the tension in the string with this mass, the calculation is (10.3*0.36)(9.81). If the second block has the calculated mass and block 1 is given a slight nudge, the tension in the string can be found by using the FBD and solving for acceleration, which is given by ((
cd.riter
Block 1 as shown in the link below(url) has a mass of 10.3 kg. The coefficient of static friction between the block and the table is μs = 0.36 and the coefficient of kinetic friction is μk = 0.336.

a) What should the mass of the second block be so that m1 is just on the verge of sliding?
I ended up getting (10.3 kg)*(0.36) , which was correct

b) If the block 2 has the mass you just calculated above, what is the tension in the string?
I got (10.3*0.36)(9.81), and that was also correct

c) If the block 2 has the mass you just calculated above and then block 1 is given a slight nudge, what is the tension in the string?
So i did the FBD, to solve for acceleration of the blocks, and i got ((M2 - Uk*M1)/(M1+M2)) *g = a
i plugged acceleration back into this equation Ft = m1*a + Ffric => where Ffric is (Uk*m1*g)
and that was not correct please help me

here's the pic
https://wug-s.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?cc/DuPage/phys2111/fall/homework/Ch-06-Forces/tipler_sliding_block/fig_05_10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
cd.riter said:
c) If the block 2 has the mass you just calculated above and then block 1 is given a slight nudge, what is the tension in the string?
So i did the FBD, to solve for acceleration of the blocks, and i got ((M2 - Uk*M1)/(M1+M2)) *g = a
i plugged acceleration back into this equation Ft = m1*a + Ffric => where Ffric is (Uk*m1*g)
and that was not correct please help me
Looks fine to me. Double check your arithmetic.

yea i looked over everything many times, I'm beginning to think that its the computer program that's wrong...Well if anything my answer for Ft = 35.73 N, if you are getting anything else please let me know

cd.riter said:
yea i looked over everything many times, I'm beginning to think that its the computer program that's wrong...Well if anything my answer for Ft = 35.73 N, if you are getting anything else please let me know
What did you get for the acceleration? (Often the online programs are fussy about significant figures.)

i got .173 m/s/s
so i put in the calculator

(10.3)(.173) + (.336*10.3*9.81) = Ft

cd.riter said:
i got .173 m/s/s
Seems a bit off--by a factor of 10. Double check this.

I can't find my error, thanks anyway Doc, I'll just go find my professor, I'm sure he's made an error in programming this, he's done it before

cd.riter said:
I can't find my error, thanks anyway Doc, I'll just go find my professor, I'm sure he's made an error in programming this, he's done it before
Before you go to your professor, show the details of your calculation of the acceleration.

first I made the tensions equal to each other

m1*a + Uk*m1*g = m2g - m2 a , then i solved for a

a = ((m2 - uk*m1)/(m1+m2)) * ga = (((10.3*.36)-(.336*10.3)/((10.3*.36)+10.3))) * 9.81 = .173

cd.riter said:
first I made the tensions equal to each other

m1*a + Uk*m1*g = m2g - m2 a , then i solved for a

a = ((m2 - uk*m1)/(m1+m2)) * g

a = (((10.3*.36)-(.336*10.3)/((10.3*.36)+10.3))) * 9.81 = .173
Yep, looks OK. (I misread something earlier.)

1. What is the mass of Block 1 in the block-table system?

The mass of Block 1 in the block-table system is the amount of matter present in the block, typically measured in kilograms (kg). This mass can be determined by using a scale or by calculating the volume of the block and multiplying it by its density.

2. How is the mass of Block 1 related to the static friction in the block-table system?

The mass of Block 1 is directly related to the static friction in the block-table system. As the mass increases, so does the force required to overcome the static friction and move the block. This is because the weight of the block, which is determined by its mass, is a factor in calculating the force of static friction.

3. What is static friction and how does it affect the block-table system?

Static friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with a surface and not moving. In the block-table system, static friction is present between the block and the table, preventing the block from sliding or moving. It is important to consider the magnitude of static friction when determining how much force is needed to move the block.

4. How can the static friction in the block-table system be measured?

The static friction in the block-table system can be measured by using a spring scale or a force sensor. The block is attached to the scale or sensor, and as a pulling force is applied, the scale will measure the amount of force needed to overcome the static friction and move the block.

5. What factors can affect the static friction in the block-table system?

Several factors can affect the static friction in the block-table system, including the mass of Block 1, the roughness of the surfaces in contact, and the force pressing the block against the table. Additionally, the coefficient of static friction, which is a measure of how difficult it is for two objects to slide against each other, can also play a role in determining the strength of the static friction present in the system.