• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

A small block ##m## is projected with speed ##v_0 = \sqrt{2gR}## from bottom of a fixed sphere of radius ##R##. (Vertical circular path)

Homework Statement
A small block ##m## is projected with speed ##v_0 = \sqrt{2gR}## from bottom of a fixed sphere of radius ##R## , so that the block moves in a vertical circular path.
Homework Equations
Attached below.
Does the block move along the pink dotted lines as attached in the figure below?
I tried to draw the FBD of the small block ##m ## at the lowermost point which is also attached below.(The direction of ## v_0 ## is actually tangential)
phy.forum.5.jpg

Is the figure above correct? If not, why?

haruspex

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Problem Statement: A small block ## m ## is projected with speed ## v_0 = √2gR ## from bottom of a fixed sphere of radius ##R## , so that the block moves in a vertical circular path.
Relevant Equations: Attached below.

Does the block move along the pink dotted lines as attached in the figure below?
I tried to draw the FBD of the small block ##m ## at the lowermost point which is also attached below.(The direction of ## v_0 ## is actually tangential)
View attachment 246940

Your diagram is fine for the initial motion, but the speed will drop as the block rises. What exactly is the question to be answered? You probably need an FBD for a more general position.

What exactly is the question to be answered?
The questions to be answered are -
i) The speed of the block as a function of ## Θ ##, where Θ is the angle of deflection from the lowest vertical.
ii) Normal reaction when the vertical component of the block's velocity is maximum.
iii)The angle between the thread and the lowest vertical at the moment when the total acc. vector of the block is directed horizontally.

I didn't write these questions before as I wanted the image.Like, I wanted the intuition of how this system really looks.

Thanks.

Last edited:

haruspex

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
The questions to be answered are -
i) The speed of the block as a function of ## Θ ##, where Θ is the angle of deflection from the lowest vertical.
ii) Normal reaction when the vertical component of the block's velocity is maximum.
iii)The angle between the thread and the lowest vertical at the moment when the total acc. vector of the block is directed horizontally.

I didn't write these questions before as I wanted the image.Like, I wanted the intuition of how this system really looks.

Thanks.
Then, as I posted, you need to draw the FBD and write equations for the general position, as described in (i).
Don't bother trying to draw perspective, as you seem to have done in post 1. Just show the plane in which the block moves.

deflection from the lowest vertical.
What does the above line mean? Should I assume that the block lies at an angle theta from the lowest point?

Last edited:

kuruman

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
(The direction of ## v_0 ## is actually tangential)
The diagram does not look correct. Since the initial velocity is tangent to the circle, the block will start sliding on the inside surface of the circle, presumably without friction. The questions to consider are, will the block slide all the way up to the "12 o'clock" position or will it fall off at some intermediate point and, if so, where is that point and what is the subsequent path of the block?

The diagram does not look correct. Since the initial velocity is tangent to the circle, the block will start sliding on the inside surface of the circle, presumably without friction. The questions to consider are, will the block slide all the way up to the "12 o'clock" position or will it fall off at some intermediate point and, if so, where is that point and what is the subsequent path of the block?
We know that the velocity decreases as the angle theta increases because of ## g ##. Can we find the velocity of the block as a function of theta? If yes, can I get a hint?

haruspex

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
What does the above line mean? Should I assume that the block lies at an angle theta from the lowest point?
The "lowest vertical " means the radius line from the centre of the circle to the bottom of the circle. Take another radius line from the centre of the circle to the block and call the angle between the two radii theta,
Draw the FBD for that.

kuruman

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hint: Mechanical energy conservation plus a free body diagram. I assume the question to be answered is "Draw the complete path of the block inside the shell."

haruspex

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
We know that the velocity decreases as the angle theta increases because of ## g ##. Can we find the velocity of the block as a function of theta? If yes, can I get a hint?
Anything conserved?

Is that what you were looking for?
Apart from that, I have 2 more questions to solve.
These are the remaining questions I need to solve.
This happens when the angle is 90 right ?

kuruman

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I meant 0.
Good. Now draw a free body diagram of the block wjen it is at ##\Theta=0##. However, before you do that count how many items outside the block exert a force on it. You should draw as many forces acting on the block as you have items interacting with it. Also, draw the acceleration of the block outside the FBD.

Good. Now draw a free body diagram of the block when it is at ##\Theta=0##. However, before you do that count how many items outside the block exert a force on it. You should draw as many forces acting on the block as you have items interacting with it. Also, draw the acceleration of the block outside the FBD.
The forces I noticed are - Normal Force( Centripetal force here), Weight.

kuruman

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
That's it, good job. Now what do you think you should do next? What's the purpose of drawing a free body diagram?

That's it, good job. Now what do you think you should do next? What's the purpose of drawing a free body diagram?
Now should I equate ## F_{net} ## to centripetal acceleration? Is it ## N = 3mg ##?

Last edited:

kuruman

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Yes and yes.
I stand corrected. I misread the question. See post #34 by @jbriggs444 who has a knack for keeping me honest.

Last edited:

kuruman

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
You are welcome. Can you finish the problem now and answer the third question?

jbriggs444

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Now should I equate ##F_{net}## to centripetal acceleration? Is it ##N=3mg##?
No and no.

##F_{net}## is only equal to [mass times] centripetal acceleration if tangential acceleration is zero. The vertical component of the block's velocity will not be maximized at the bottom of the circle.

No and no.

##F_{net}## is only equal to [mass times] centripetal acceleration if tangential acceleration is zero. The vertical component of the block's velocity will not be maximized at the bottom of the circle.
If not at the bottom, where else?