1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A small matrix proof

1. Jan 16, 2007 #1

radou

Homework Helper

Let A and B be square matrices of order n, such that B = 2A - I. (1) One has to proove that B is involutory (B^2 = I) <=> A is idempotent (A^2 = A).

Starting off with direction <= , one multiplies (1) with A from the right and from the left, separately, and obtains the results BA = A, and AB = A, respectively. This implies B = I, and I is an involutory matrix, so that direction is prooved. (I hope, that's why I'm asking.)

The second direction, => , causes trouble and I'd appreciate any help. I tried multiplying (1) with B, but it didn't seem to help. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2007 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

BA = A and AB = A does not give B = I. For example, take A=0 (there are other examples too). It is true that B=I if BA = A and AB = A holds for all A, but that isn't the case here.

Just square both sides of B=2A-I. This should give both directions pretty easily.

4. Jan 16, 2007 #3

radou

Homework Helper

Just realized that, thanks.

Did that, and prooved both directions. Thanks again! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?