1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Solar House

1. Mar 21, 2006 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Cornell's award-winning solar house to be auctioned April 7
    By Susan S. Lang

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/March06/solar.house.auction.ssl.html

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2006 #2
    Looks like those solar panels will rip right off in a hurricane. Very small too.

4. Mar 25, 2006 #3

Mk

Mayhap those are for use in Nevada.

5. Apr 1, 2006 #4
    I am guessing angle can be adjusted depending on a position of the sun. During a hurricane panels can be lowered to horizontal position.

6. Apr 1, 2006 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Nice, but I already have a solar-powered house. It's a small (~1000 ft2) well-insulated log home with a wood stove and an oil furnace as a backup. The winter has been warmer that usual, but still, it's pretty nice to be able to heat your house on only 3 cords of wood and practically no oil. I have over 8 acres of solar-powered woodlot, and can probably heat this place as long as I live by cutting and burning only dead or damaged trees. I cut up a diseased white ash a couple of days ago and got close to 2/3 cord of wood for next winter, and there's a whole lot more where that came from. We can be a whole lot more self-sufficient as a species if we are willing to disperse instead of concentrating our populations, but I don't see that happening.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  7. Apr 1, 2006 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Aren't the areas that recieve the most intense sunlight in pretty non-hurricaney areas of the country in the US? :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?