Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Solar House

1. Mar 21, 2006 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Cornell's award-winning solar house to be auctioned April 7
    By Susan S. Lang

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/March06/solar.house.auction.ssl.html

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2006 #2
    Looks like those solar panels will rip right off in a hurricane. Very small too.

4. Mar 25, 2006 #3

Mk

Mayhap those are for use in Nevada.

5. Apr 1, 2006 #4
    I am guessing angle can be adjusted depending on a position of the sun. During a hurricane panels can be lowered to horizontal position.

6. Apr 1, 2006 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Nice, but I already have a solar-powered house. It's a small (~1000 ft2) well-insulated log home with a wood stove and an oil furnace as a backup. The winter has been warmer that usual, but still, it's pretty nice to be able to heat your house on only 3 cords of wood and practically no oil. I have over 8 acres of solar-powered woodlot, and can probably heat this place as long as I live by cutting and burning only dead or damaged trees. I cut up a diseased white ash a couple of days ago and got close to 2/3 cord of wood for next winter, and there's a whole lot more where that came from. We can be a whole lot more self-sufficient as a species if we are willing to disperse instead of concentrating our populations, but I don't see that happening.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  7. Apr 1, 2006 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Aren't the areas that recieve the most intense sunlight in pretty non-hurricaney areas of the country in the US? :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?