A solenoid where radius length?

In summary, the conversation discusses equations and relations about solenoids and their magnetic field, specifically in the case where the length is much greater than the radius and vice versa. The Biot-Savart Law and Ampere's Law are mentioned as ways to calculate the magnetic field, with the latter being more useful for solenoids. The conversation also mentions the challenges of calculating the magnetic field for a solenoid with a greater radius than length and suggests treating it as a loop or coil instead. Finally, the conversation touches on the dimensions of a solenoid and the lack of specific guidelines for the length and radius.
infamous_Q
i've found a lot of equations and relations about solenoids where the lengh tis always much greater than the radius, but what if the radius was much greater than the length?

PS. also does anyone know an equation that could help me figure out the magnetic field strength outside a solenoid? or any equations relating to an electric motor would be helpful too.

thanx!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I guess in principle the magnetic field of a steady current can always be calculated from the Biot-Savart Law:

[tex] \mathbf{B(r)} = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}I\int{\frac{d\mathbf{l'} \times \mathbf{\hat{r}}}{r^2}} [/tex]

However, the integration may not always be...nice. Or even possible. In my electromagnetism text, the example in which the magnetic field directly above the centre of just one circular loop of current-carrying wire was laborious enough. The field of a solenoid was deduced much more easily using Ampere's law:

[tex] \oint{\mathbf{B}\cdot d\mathbf{l} } = \mu_0 I_{enc} [/tex]

This requires the use of appropriate Amperian loops in various regions...if you haven't encountered these equations from magnetostatics before...don't try to use them without learning more first about them.

As for a solenoid of much greater "girth" than length...it is far from "ideal" in the sense that the field will be less uniform inside and decidedly non-zero outside (a straight field inside and zero outside is the ideal achieved by an infinite solenoid that "very long" solenoids attempt to approximate). I don't have any specific formulas describing this field offhand.

infamous_Q said:
i've found a lot of equations and relations about solenoids where the lengh tis always much greater than the radius, but what if the radius was much greater than the length?

My first guess would be to treat it as a loop or coil rather than a solenoid. But then it's been a while since I've tackled these kinds of problems.

I wrote a paper on this a few years ago, with an exact solution for any kind of solenoid. It turns out that the solutions are quite complicated, and involve modified Bessel functions.

The standard first-year approximation for the field inside a solenoid, provided it is "long" and you're not looking too near the "walls" is:

[tex]B = \mu_0 n i[/tex]

everywhere inside the solenoid, where [tex]n[/tex] is the number of turns per unit length, and [tex]i[/tex] is the current.

but how long is how long

is there a ratio between the two, length and radius, that will give a definition of the size.

Dimensions of a Solenoid

In the the equation describing a solenoid, B=unI, it does not specify a length or radius and on things i have read it says that the radius just has to be long compared to the radius. i was wondering if there is a better guideline like a ratio to explain this.

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is an electromagnetic device that is made up of a coil of wire that carries an electric current. When an electric current is passed through the coil, it creates a magnetic field.

2. How does a solenoid work?

A solenoid works by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy. When a current is passed through the coil, it creates a magnetic field that attracts or repels objects, depending on the direction of the current. This movement can be used to control a variety of mechanical processes.

3. What is the radius of a solenoid?

The radius of a solenoid is the distance from the center of the coil to the outer edge of the coil. It is typically measured in meters or centimeters.

4. How does the radius of a solenoid affect its magnetic field?

The radius of a solenoid affects its magnetic field in several ways. A larger radius will result in a stronger magnetic field, while a smaller radius will result in a weaker magnetic field. Additionally, the shape of the magnetic field will be more uniform with a larger radius.

5. What is the length of a solenoid?

The length of a solenoid is the distance from one end of the coil to the other. It is typically measured in meters or centimeters and can vary depending on the specific design and purpose of the solenoid.