Solid Ball Problem: Kinetic Energy Calculation

• Thread starter envscigrl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Solid
In summary, the Solid Ball Problem is a physics problem involving calculating the kinetic energy of a solid ball rolling down an inclined plane. The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the ball and v is its velocity. To solve the problem, you will need the mass of the ball, the angle of the incline, and the height of the incline. The steeper the angle of the incline, the greater the kinetic energy of the ball will be. This can be applied to real-life scenarios, but additional factors such as friction may affect the accuracy of calculations.
envscigrl
Here is my last problem I am having problems with:
A solid ball of mass 1.70kg and diameter 16.0cm is rotating about its diameter at 65.0rev/min. What is its kinetic energy ?
Ok so KE for rotation is : 1/2*I *w^2
so I found I with m *r2
and then plugged everything into the Ke equation but didnt get it right. I converted everything and divided the diameter by 2. What could I be doing wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your moment of inertia for a sphere!

There are a few things that could be causing an error in your calculation. First, make sure you are using the correct units for all values. Mass should be in kilograms, diameter in meters, and angular velocity in radians per second. Also, double check that you are using the correct formula for moment of inertia (I = 1/2 * m * r^2) and that you are using the correct value for the radius (in this case, half of the diameter). It's possible that you may have made a small error in your calculations or used the wrong values. I would recommend double checking your work and if you're still having trouble, try approaching the problem from a different angle or asking for help from a classmate or teacher.

1. What is the Solid Ball Problem?

The Solid Ball Problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the kinetic energy of a solid ball rolling down an inclined plane.

2. How do you calculate the kinetic energy of a solid ball?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the ball and v is its velocity.

3. What information do you need to solve the Solid Ball Problem?

To solve the problem, you will need the mass of the ball, the angle of the incline, and the height of the incline.

4. How does the angle of the incline affect the kinetic energy of the ball?

The steeper the angle of the incline, the greater the kinetic energy of the ball will be. This is because the ball will gain more speed as it rolls down the incline.

5. Can the Solid Ball Problem be solved with real-life scenarios?

Yes, the Solid Ball Problem can be applied to real-life scenarios such as objects rolling down hills or ramps. However, it is important to note that real-life scenarios may involve additional factors such as friction that may affect the accuracy of the calculations.