Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A solution for lazy joggers?

1. Nov 7, 2008 #1

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2008 #2
    The most recent studies I have read said, that it is good for bones and muscles to get the shocks from jogging/running. So in that sense I don't see the point. However, japanese sure make curious stuff these days.

4. Nov 8, 2008 #3

Danger

Gold Member

It sort of seems to me similar to someone taking the elevator instead of the stairs, and saying that he got the same excersize because he transited the same vertical distance.

5. Nov 8, 2008 #4

uart

Science Advisor

Wow, all they need to do now is to release a version with a wooden horses head at the front and a tail at the back then sell it complete with a cowbot hat and a pair of riding boots. You could really look a d1ck getting around on it then. :)

On a serious note though, it actually could prove to be very useful to the physically handicaped.

6. Nov 8, 2008 #5

Danger

Gold Member

My initial comment was based upon a misconception. I didn't have time to read the whole article, and somehow got the impression that it was some sort of work-out device.
    In the proper context, I hope that I can get one some day. I don't get around so well any more. I'm still self-sufficient, but can't carry anything more than a few metres. Something like this might be very helpful.

7. Nov 8, 2008 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes it's part of Japan's robotic solution to an ageing population.
    in certain other countries it would be an ideal solution to the problem of having to walk to your car in the morning and for the few other things you can't do at a drive through.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?