Can Robotic Walk Assist Devices Help the Elderly and Physically Handicapped?

• Thread starter mgb_phys
  • Start date
In summary, a new invention called the "walk assist" has been developed in Japan to help the elderly and physically handicapped get around more easily. While some may question its usefulness, it has been found to be beneficial for bones and muscles. It is also part of Japan's larger effort to address the issue of an ageing population.
Engineering news on Phys.org
The most recent studies I have read said, that it is good for bones and muscles to get the shocks from jogging/running. So in that sense I don't see the point. However, japanese sure make curious stuff these days.

It sort of seems to me similar to someone taking the elevator instead of the stairs, and saying that he got the same excersize because he transited the same vertical distance.

Wow, all they need to do now is to release a version with a wooden horses head at the front and a tail at the back then sell it complete with a cowbot hat and a pair of riding boots. You could really look a d1ck getting around on it then. :)

On a serious note though, it actually could prove to be very useful to the physically handicaped.

My initial comment was based upon a misconception. I didn't have time to read the whole article, and somehow got the impression that it was some sort of work-out device.
In the proper context, I hope that I can get one some day. I don't get around so well any more. I'm still self-sufficient, but can't carry anything more than a few metres. Something like this might be very helpful.

On a serious note though, it actually could prove to be very useful to the physically handicaped.
Yes it's part of Japan's robotic solution to an ageing population.
in certain other countries it would be an ideal solution to the problem of having to walk to your car in the morning and for the few other things you can't do at a drive through.

1. How does the solution for lazy joggers work?

The solution for lazy joggers is a wearable device that utilizes advanced technology to track a person's movements while jogging. It uses sensors and algorithms to detect when a person is slowing down or taking breaks, and provides gentle reminders and motivation to keep them on track.

2. Can the solution be customized for different fitness levels?

Yes, the solution can be personalized for each individual's fitness level. It allows users to set their own goals and pace, and provides tailored guidance and feedback to help them achieve their fitness goals.

3. Is the solution easy to use?

Yes, the solution is designed to be user-friendly and intuitive. It can easily be worn on the wrist or attached to clothing, and it has a simple interface that can be navigated with just a few buttons. It also comes with clear instructions and tutorials for new users.

4. Does the solution have any safety features?

Yes, the solution is equipped with safety features such as an emergency button that can be pressed in case of injury or other emergencies. It also has a built-in GPS tracker that can send location information to emergency services in case of an emergency.

5. How accurate is the data collected by the solution?

The solution uses state-of-the-art sensors and algorithms to collect and analyze data. It has been tested and proven to be highly accurate in tracking a person's movements and providing feedback. However, it is important to note that it is not a medical device and should not be used for medical purposes.