Physics Bloopers: Sound Level Problem Gone Wrong

In summary, the teacher botched an example problem involving sound level (decibels), where a single sound source produces 105 dB at a distance of 5.0 m. The formula β = 10log(d₀²/d²) is not helpful in this case as it only applies to relative dB values. Instead, we can use 105 = 10log(I/10⁻¹²) to find the intensity at the reference distance and then apply the inverse square law to find the distance to the source that produces the reference intensity. In this problem, the result is 177828d, or about 890 km, which does not seem correct. Further investigation and clarification is needed.
keydetpiper
In my high school physics class the other day the teacher botched an example problem involving sound level (decibels).

Homework Statement

A single sound source produces 105 dB at a distance of 5.0 m. How far away must the observer be to not hear this sound at all?

Homework Equations

beta.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

The reference intensity I0 is the lowest intensity a human can hear, 1 x 10-12 W/m2, so when the source is far enough away its intensity will be equal to this. The intensity of a sound falls off as 1/d2, so after substituting the information in the problem the equation above can be rewritten as follows:
sub.jpg

In this equation, d0 represents the distance to the sound source that produces the reference intensity and d is the distance to the original source, 5.0 m for this problem.
When this is solved for d0, the result is 177828d, or about 890 km. This can't be right! What happened? Thanks in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT: Whoops. This is a really old question. I answered it by mistake thinking it was recent.

keydetpiper said:
In my high school physics class the other day the teacher botched an example problem involving sound level (decibels).

Homework Statement

A single sound source produces 105 dB at a distance of 5.0 m. How far away must the observer be to not hear this sound at all?

Homework Equations

View attachment 126674

The Attempt at a Solution

The reference intensity I0 is the lowest intensity a human can hear, 1 x 10-12 W/m2, so when the source is far enough away its intensity will be equal to this. The intensity of a sound falls off as 1/d2, so after substituting the information in the problem the equation above can be rewritten as follows:
View attachment 126675
In this equation, d0 represents the distance to the sound source that produces the reference intensity and d is the distance to the original source, 5.0 m for this problem.
When this is solved for d0, the result is 177828d, or about 890 km. This can't be right! What happened? Thanks in advance for your help.
$$\text{β = 10log(}\frac{d₀²}{d²})$$ is unhelpful in this question.

The formula only applies to relative (not absolute) dB values. E.g. if d₀ = 10d, then β = 10log(10²) = 20dB.

That means there is a 20dB *difference* between levels at the two distances. The absolute levels (referenced to 10⁻¹²W/m²) could be 100dB and 80dB, or 20dB and 0dB for example, depending on ther source's power output.

The formula contains no information about the absolute threshold level (10⁻¹²W/m²). For example if the threshold level were changed to, say, 10⁻¹¹W/m², the formula would give the same result, which makes no sense.

I’d take this approach:

Use 105 = 10log(I/10⁻¹²) to work out I/10⁻¹².

Apply the inverse square law:$$\frac{d₀²}{5²} = \frac{I}{10⁻¹²}$$to find d₀.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

1. What is the "Sound Level Problem Gone Wrong" in physics bloopers?

The "Sound Level Problem Gone Wrong" is a famous physics blooper that occurred during a live TV broadcast in 1990. The sound engineer accidentally turned up the volume of a clip of a rocket launch, causing the sound to be extremely loud and causing the anchor to duck for cover.

2. How did the sound engineer make this mistake?

The sound engineer made a simple mistake of turning up the volume of the clip instead of turning down the overall sound level. This caused the clip to play at a much higher volume than intended, resulting in the blooper.

3. What is the scientific explanation behind this blooper?

This blooper is a result of the law of conservation of energy. When the volume of the clip was turned up, the energy of the sound waves increased, causing them to be louder. This law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another.

4. Has this blooper happened before or since?

Yes, there have been similar bloopers in the past where sound engineers have made similar mistakes. However, this particular blooper gained widespread attention due to the live TV broadcast and has become a popular example of physics bloopers.

5. How can this blooper be prevented in the future?

To prevent this blooper from happening in the future, sound engineers must be careful when adjusting sound levels and should always double-check their work before a live broadcast. It is also important for them to have a good understanding of the physics behind sound and energy to avoid making such mistakes.