Help Needed: Solving a Sound Wave Problem

In summary, the conversation is about using a formula to calculate the temperature in the air based on the speed of sound and the time it takes for the sound to travel a certain distance. The formula used is Cair= 331.5 + (0.6 x theta) and the calculated temperature is 35.8 ºC. The accuracy of this formula is confirmed by a reference to a Wikipedia article.
Moe_slow
i need some help with this question.

"Jim is walking in a field and screams...the wall is 300 meters away it takes 1.7 seconds for the sound to come back...wat is the temperature in the air."

so i tried it as:

V=d/t
...= 300m/0.85s
...= 353m/s

from there i think i have to use the speed of sound formula and isolate the 0.59t. and then divide by it. i keep on getting a different answer then the one in my textbook.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cair= 331.5 + (0.6 x theta)
353 = 331.5 + (0.6 x theta)
theta = (353 - 331.5)/0.6
theta = 35.8 ºC

It's hot!
Notice that I get this formula from wikipedia, I could be wrong since I never learned this. But I read the article and it seems to be correct.

See- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound

thanks its correct...

1. What is a sound wave problem?

A sound wave problem refers to a situation where there is an issue with the propagation or reception of sound waves. This can be caused by various factors such as interference, reflection, or diffraction.

2. How do you solve a sound wave problem?

The first step in solving a sound wave problem is to identify the specific issue or obstacle that is causing the problem. Then, various techniques such as adjusting the frequency or amplitude of the sound waves, using sound-absorbing materials, or changing the position of the sound source can be used to solve the problem.

3. What are some common sound wave problems?

Some common sound wave problems include echoes, reverberations, and interference from other sources. In acoustic environments, sound wave problems can also be caused by the shape and materials of the room or space.

4. How does the speed of sound affect sound wave problems?

The speed of sound can affect sound wave problems in various ways. For example, if the speed of sound is too slow, it can cause echoes or reverberations. On the other hand, if the speed of sound is too fast, it can cause interference or distortion of the sound waves.

5. Are there any tools or software that can help solve sound wave problems?

Yes, there are various tools and software available that can help in solving sound wave problems. These include sound wave analyzers, acoustic simulation software, and sound wave modeling tools. These tools can aid in identifying and analyzing sound wave issues and provide solutions for them.