Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A sound question I think

1. Mar 28, 2007 #1
    This may not entirely be a physics question but I know physicists here might know something about it. If it seems to be irrelevant then please delete it.

I have a speaker and a earphone. When I plug the earphone into the speaker's earphone jack, I hear a constant background noise, even when there is no music, for example, is being played. So what could be causing that noise?

Here are the specs for the speaker and the earphone:

Total RMS power: 4 watts RMS (2W + 2W)
    Total peak power: 8 watts
    Frequency response: 70Hz - 20kHz
    Drivers: 2" full-range
    Dimensions (H x W x D): 9" x 3" x 3.5"
    Signal-to-noise ratio: >70dB

Driver Unit: 16mm diameter
    Impedance: 16 at 1 kHz
    Sensitivity: 108 dB/mW
    Frequency Response: 16-22000Hz
    Power Handling Capacity: 50mW
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

How loud is it and does it vary with the volume of the amp?
  4. Mar 28, 2007 #3
    It is loud enough to cause a serious distraction but not as loud to cause the ear to hurt, although prolonged exposure could cause the ear to hurt. It does vary with the volume.
  5. Mar 30, 2007 #4
    Any thoughts, anybody?
  6. Mar 30, 2007 #5
    Does the background noise come from the speak also? I'm guessing a defective headphone.
  7. Mar 30, 2007 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

what does the noise sound like?
    (e.g. hiss, static, intermittent static)
  8. Mar 31, 2007 #7
    david90: The background noise comes from the speaker only at high volume and even then I can only hear it if I hold my ear 10cm near the speaker. I tried the earphones on my MP3 player and also Home Stereo and it works perfectly well.

Ouabache: It is static noise, without intermittance

I've been reading about this and I wonder if it has anythig to do with the impedance between the headphone jack of the speaker and the earphones...?
  9. Mar 31, 2007 #8
    Is your speaker new?
  10. Mar 31, 2007 #9
    Yes they are new speakers
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?