Possible Causes of Background Noise in Speaker and Earphone Setup

• Thread starter PiRsq
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, the conversation discusses a constant background noise heard when an earphone is plugged into a speaker's earphone jack, regardless of whether music is being played. The speaker and earphone specs are provided, including the volume and potential for ear discomfort. The noise is described as static and the cause is speculated to be the impedance between the headphone jack and earphones. The speaker is confirmed to be new.
PiRsq
This may not entirely be a physics question but I know physicists here might know something about it. If it seems to be irrelevant then please delete it.

I have a speaker and a earphone. When I plug the earphone into the speaker's earphone jack, I hear a constant background noise, even when there is no music, for example, is being played. So what could be causing that noise?

Here are the specs for the speaker and the earphone:

speaker
Total RMS power: 4 watts RMS (2W + 2W)
Total peak power: 8 watts
Frequency response: 70Hz - 20kHz
Drivers: 2" full-range
Dimensions (H x W x D): 9" x 3" x 3.5"
Signal-to-noise ratio: >70dB

earphone
Driver Unit: 16mm diameter
Impedance: 16 at 1 kHz
Sensitivity: 108 dB/mW
Frequency 16-22000Hz
Power Handling Capacity: 50mW

Engineering news on Phys.org
How loud is it and does it vary with the volume of the amp?

It is loud enough to cause a serious distraction but not as loud to cause the ear to hurt, although prolonged exposure could cause the ear to hurt. It does vary with the volume.

Any thoughts, anybody?

Does the background noise come from the speak also? I'm guessing a defective headphone.

what does the noise sound like?
(e.g. hiss, static, intermittent static)

david90: The background noise comes from the speaker only at high volume and even then I can only hear it if I hold my ear 10cm near the speaker. I tried the earphones on my MP3 player and also Home Stereo and it works perfectly well.

Ouabache: It is static noise, without intermittance

I've been reading about this and I wonder if it has anythig to do with the impedance between the headphone jack of the speaker and the earphones...?

Is your speaker new?

Yes they are new speakers

1. What is the definition of a sound question?

A sound question is a well-structured and thought-provoking inquiry that can be answered through observation, experimentation, or research. It is clear, concise, and relevant to the topic being discussed.

2. How do you come up with a sound question?

A sound question can be generated by identifying a topic of interest, conducting background research, and brainstorming potential questions. It is important to consider the purpose of the question and the target audience when formulating it.

3. What are the characteristics of a good sound question?

A good sound question should be specific, measurable, and focused on a single topic. It should also be open-ended, meaning it cannot be answered with a simple yes or no, and it should be relevant to the current knowledge and research in the field.

4. How do you test the soundness of a question?

The soundness of a question can be tested by evaluating its clarity, relevance, and feasibility. It is also important to consider if the question can be answered with the available resources and methods. Seeking feedback from peers or experts in the field can also help determine the soundness of a question.

5. Why is it important to ask sound questions in science?

Asking sound questions is crucial in science as it leads to the generation of new knowledge and advancements in the field. Sound questions also help scientists to critically analyze and understand the world around us and to develop evidence-based solutions to real-world problems.