Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Source of Anti Matter found

1. Mar 5, 2012 #1
    I had not heard of this, so I thought others might be interested.

I thought that all natural Anti matter had been lost at the beginning of the Universe, but apparently there is a 10000 light year cloud of anti matter near the center of our galaxy:

http://www.space.com/4837-source-mysterious-antimatter.html

Any comments?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2012 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The article seems to imply that the anti-matter is of recent origin, not from the beginning of the universe. It appears to consist of positrons coming from high energy gamma ray reactions (pair production).

4. Mar 5, 2012 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Natural anti-matter is being made constantly in the universe, so it isn't that much of a suprise to find a cloud of it. But an interesting read nonetheless.

5. Mar 6, 2012 #4
    Hmm, is it a cloud of antimatter or just a cloud of regular matter with enough antimatter to make it glow? How did the antimatter from pair-production get separated from ordinary matter then?

6. Mar 6, 2012 #5
    It's not a cloud of pure anti-matter. What happens is that if you heat something hot enough, it will start generating anti-matter/matter pairs. The anti-matter then interacts with the matter and gives you a specific radiation line.

When you produce an anti-matter/matter pair, the particles go in opposite directions. The anti-matter just continues until it hits some other piece of matter.

7. Mar 8, 2012 #6
    If the temperature were low enough to only produce electron-positron pairs, then you could separate them by electric or magnetic fields or whatever, but I guess that is not what is happening here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?