Southern Sky Image: View the Southern Cross, Coal Sack & Omega Centauri

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Image Sky
In summary, the conversation is about an image of the southern hemisphere night sky, specifically featuring the Southern Cross, the Coal Sack Nebula, Alpha and Beta Centauri, and Omega Centauri. The image was taken with a Canon 5D3 and 70-200mm lens and was affected by being close to the horizon. The participants also discuss their past experiences with observing the Omega Centauri cluster and how it is no longer visible from their current locations due to light pollution.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
An image specially for those in the northern hemisphere that won't see these things ...
upper right - Southern Cross (on it's side) on the lower side of it, the Coal Sack Nebula. Lower centre, the two pointers, Alpha and Beta Centauri. and finally in the upper left, the huge globular cluster - Omega Centauri
Canon 5D3, 70-200mm @ f/l=70mm, f2.8, ISO2000, 30 sec exp

2015_04_11_3595-2sm.jpg

Attachments

• 2015_04_11_3595-2sm.jpg
    2015_04_11_3595-2sm.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 564
Likes Ernest S Walton, Andy Resnick, fresh_42 and 2 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
davenn said:
and finally in the upper left, the huge globular cluster - Omega Centauri

I managed to grab an image of it from northern Louisiana, but it was seriously aberrated thanks to being situated so close to the horizon. :frown:

Beautiful image however!

Likes davenn
image of ? Omega Centauri ?thankyou :smile:

just going back few a few images from 2015 - 2016 that I hadn't had time to process

davenn said:
mage of ? Omega Centauri ?
Yep.

Likes davenn
Drakkith said:
Yep.

it's a beautiful globular, not sure if I have posted an image of it on PF in the past or not ?
let me find a pic

Drakkith said:
Yep.

davenn said:
it's a beautiful globular, not sure if I have posted an image of it on PF in the past or not ?
let me find a pic
here we go, just a crop and a little sharpening

2015_04_11_3589sm.jpg

Attachments

• 2015_04_11_3589sm.jpg
    2015_04_11_3589sm.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 523
Likes Drakkith and jim mcnamara
From where I used to live this was a naked eye object, you had to have good seeing and dark adapted eyes and also know where to look, now
I've move into town it's gone :( and I'm only in a 2 dark sky area!

Likes davenn
Simon Peach said:
From where I used to live this was a naked eye object, you had to have good seeing and dark adapted eyes and also know where to look, now
I've move into town it's gone :( and I'm only in a 2 dark sky area!

Hi Simon,

yeah, I can only occasionally see it from my home location from the inner west suburbs of Sydney, Oz

the above images were taken from one of my dark sites about an hour drive to the NW of home

Dave

1. What is the Southern Sky Image?

The Southern Sky Image is a photograph capturing the night sky in the southern hemisphere. It features three prominent celestial objects: the Southern Cross, the Coal Sack, and Omega Centauri.

2. What is the significance of the Southern Cross?

The Southern Cross is a constellation made up of four bright stars that are visible in the southern hemisphere. It is an important cultural symbol in many countries, representing navigation and direction.

3. What is the Coal Sack?

The Coal Sack is a dark nebula, or cloud of gas and dust, located near the Southern Cross. It appears as a dark patch in the night sky due to the absorption of light from stars behind it.

4. What is Omega Centauri?

Omega Centauri is a globular cluster, or a densely packed group of stars, located in the constellation Centaurus. It is one of the largest and brightest globular clusters in the sky, containing millions of stars.

5. When is the best time to view the Southern Sky Image?

The Southern Sky Image can be viewed year-round in the southern hemisphere, but it is best seen during the winter months (June-August) when the Southern Cross is at its highest point in the sky.