What Did I Learn About Community Development in Africa?

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, Dave went on a 2-week trip to Africa, spending the first week in Uganda visiting villages with an organization called Compassion to improve living standards. He also met his sponsored child and saw the famous Entebbe Airport. The second week was spent in Cape Town, South Africa. Dave then shares his interest in a shirt he saw and his confusion about finding a similar one online.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
Hi guys and gals

not long back from a 2 week trip to Africa
first week was in Uganda visiting villages that an organisation called Compassion are doing work in
to bring the communities up to a better living standard ... health care, fresh water, education etc
Similar stuff to what UNICEF and Save the Children organisations do, but with higher % of the funds going to where it's needed

Whilst there, I met my sponsored child and his mom
The pic taken at Entebbe Airport ( am sure many of the senior members of PF will remember what happened at that airport back in the 1970's)

Ziwa, his mom Silvie and I

upload_2016-5-17_15-27-37.png

The second week was in Cape Town, SA. A very interesting experience in a city
of extremes

cheers
Dave

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2, mister mishka, ProfuselyQuarky and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
I really like Ziwa's shirt, so I googled: "shopping in Uganda"
I found one online retailer, Jumia, and the only prints they sell are labeled "Aztec". :confused:

Does this mean I have to go shopping in Mexico to get a Ugandan style shirt?

Likes davenn
OmCheeto said:
Does this mean I have to go shopping in Mexico to get a Ugandan style shirt?

LOL maybe

1. What is the significance of "A Special Time In Africa" in the scientific community?

"A Special Time In Africa" is a term commonly used by scientists to refer to the period in Earth's history known as the Mesozoic Era. This era, which lasted from approximately 252 to 66 million years ago, is notable for the diversification and dominance of dinosaurs, as well as the emergence of many modern plant and animal groups.

2. How did the climate and environment of Africa change during this time?

The Mesozoic Era was characterized by a warm and humid climate, with Africa being situated closer to the equator than it is today. This resulted in lush forests and diverse plant life. However, towards the end of the era, the climate began to cool and become more arid, leading to the formation of vast deserts in Africa.

3. What major evolutionary developments occurred during "A Special Time In Africa"?

The Mesozoic Era saw the evolution of many important species, including the first mammals, birds, and flowering plants. It also saw the rise and eventual extinction of the dinosaurs, as well as the emergence of modern reptiles such as crocodiles and turtles.

4. How do scientists study "A Special Time In Africa"?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study the Mesozoic Era, including fossil analysis, geological studies, and computer simulations. By examining the remains of plants and animals from this time period, as well as the geological record, scientists can piece together a picture of the climate, environment, and evolution of Africa during this time.

5. What impact did "A Special Time In Africa" have on the present day?

The Mesozoic Era had a profound impact on the development of life on Earth and the formation of many of the ecosystems we see today. The extinction of the dinosaurs at the end of this era allowed for the rise of mammals, leading to the development of humans and other modern animals. The plants and animals that evolved during this time also laid the foundation for the diverse ecosystems we see in Africa and around the world today.

Back