Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Specific Group of Equations

1. Jul 16, 2007 #1
    Hi,

I have an interest (for simple game physics) in basic equations like the trajectory of a projectile and catenary physics. Is there a specific grouping for these types of equations so that I can find similar ones easier? I'd like to be able to just find some and experiment with them to see what I can do.

Like... physics involving real world objects and distances and things. I really don't know how to describe it. Projectiles can be used for things like rockets and arrows, whilst catenary equations can be used for ropes and other things. Equations that also deal with things like this?

Any idea? Thanks. XD

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2007 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The field of physics you're looking for is called (classical) mechanics. Newton's law, forces, friction, tension, ...
    Try buying a good introductory book on classical mechanics (or finding an e-book, or Wikibook, or whatever it's called), you'll probably find a lot of what you want there already.

4. Jul 16, 2007 #3
    Thanks. That was pretty obvious really, wasn't it? Haha.

5. Jul 16, 2007 #4

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

as an aside, I've been seeing a lot of these "physics for games" questions, and I'm wondering--do any universities offer a class called "videogame physics" or something like that. I bet it would be a pretty good draw.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?