1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A sphere between two non-paralell planes - finding the centre

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1
    Allright, I've got mock-exams coming up this winter and I'm struggling with the damn vectors. I made a thread about this before but it turned out terrible due to my poor English skills and because I wrote it in a rush. Anyway:

The problem: Plane α: x-2y+z=2. Plane β: 2x+y+z=5

Point P= (0,1,4) is on the line of intersection, which has the directional vector L, between the two planes.

So L=directional vector of the line of intersection between the two planes.

A sphere is touching plane alpha at point A and plane beta at point B. Show that PB is perpendicular to L and the directional vector of plane Beta, and that PA is perpendicular to L and the directional vector of plane Alpha. Find the coordinates for the centre of the sphere, point S.

point A=(11,9,9) point B= (4,-14,-1).

My work: I found L by finding the cross product between the 2 directional vectors of the planes. I also confirmed that vectors PB & PA are both perpendicular to L, and PB is perpendicular to the directional vector of plane alpha while PA is perpendicular to the directional vector of plane beta.

Where I'm stuck: I set the centre coordinates as: x,y,z. Using some geometry I set up a parametric function where x= 7t y=21t+1 z=4.

I then figured that the radius of the sphere equals= (11-x)^2 + (9-y)^2 + (9-z)^2 = |SA| = |SB| = (-4-x)^2 + (14-y)^2 + (-1-z)^2. This is derived from the formula of a sphere.

Well, I tried to do the algebra, substituting x with 7t, y with 21t+1 and z with 4 but I just ended up with 0t=0.

I tried finding the radius as well, but these attempts too failed.

I spent almost 2 hours on this but I simply couldn't do it, it was (and still is) too hard for me. Can somebody here please help?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?