Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A spiffy line though my name?

1. Nov 19, 2008 #1
    I was noticing all of the different people with a line through their name.
    When I figured out the line meant they were in a temporary smackdown I started looking at recent posts that might show why. Many times I couldn't figure out the offense. Do the mentors delete some of the out of tolerance posts/links?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Most members that have lines through their names have been permanently banned.

And yes, if a member's posts are bad enough to get them banned, they would have been deleted.

4. Nov 19, 2008 #3
    Ohhhh!

The line might mean permanent. In that case I'll pass.

5. Nov 19, 2008 #4
    just change your name to <s>montoyas7940</s>

6. Nov 19, 2008 #5
    I don't get it !?

7. Nov 19, 2008 #6
    He's just messin with you. A strike though does represent a member not in good standing and with either a temp or perm ban.

8. Nov 20, 2008 #7
    I noticed I had a line through my name for a little while. Is there any recourse? Do the demerits have to never expire?

9. Nov 20, 2008 #8

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You have been getting the e-mail notifications regarding your PF status, right? Please don't play dumb. It confuses new members who are trying to get it right.

10. Nov 20, 2008 #9
    I'm not playing dumb. I'm saying my demerits say they never expire, but I don't think what i did was bad enough to warrant them. I've already taken the banning, I'm simply asking whether I can get rid of these unwarranted demerits. and I haven't gotten any emails that I'm aware of. unless they went to my junk folder.

11. Nov 20, 2008 #10

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Permanent infractions points are issued for serious violations of PF guidelines and as the name suggests, they are permanent and never expire nor can they be removed - except if the infraction is reversed by a mentor.

If you want to discuss your specific case further, then please feel free to PM me, or any other mentor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?