1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A spinning question

1. Apr 5, 2008 #1
    An electron has its spin vector pointing in the positive x-direction and a magnetic field vector is turned on in the positive z-direction.

Question 1. Does the spin vector turn to the positive z-direction and start to precess around the z-axis? Or does is precess around the x-axis?

Question 2. If the magnetic field vector is turned off, and the spin vector did turn to the positive z-direction does is go back to the x-direction? Or if it stayed pointing in the x-direction does it stop precessing?

I think the answer to question 1 is that the spin vector point in the x-direction and starts to precess around the x-axis. The answer to question 2 is it stops the precession around the x-axis and stays pointing in the positive x-direction.
    Could someone please tell my if I'm right or wrong.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2008 #2

pam

It precesses about the z axis, and stops when B is turned off.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?